The Legbar Thread!

My 2013 Cream Legbar hatches have 55% pullet from my own hatches alone and including the feed back I have got from other who hatch from eggs from our flock they have produced 58% pullet.

My flock has been strong producing high fertility and good hatch rates. I have seen others comment about lower fertility or hatch rates though, so it is possible the close breeding of related stock is showing.

Last year I hatched 100% dark chicks. Many of the pullets turned out with good color, but all the cockerels were too colorful. This year I am seeing a lot of light colored down. I am growing them out to see how they compare to what I saw last year. All of the tips I have got from the wonderful folks in the UK is that the lighter down chicks are what produce their best adult plumage.
im thinking you cant just have a bunch bought from one person. I don't think the people selling them are worried about how then next person will be breeding them. people buy a bunch of brothers and sisters and don't have other stock to breed them back too. Even the ones i got from you have the same father. so those 4 females breed to the two males still share the same blood. I'm thinking that's why I'm getting bad hatches.

I was really impressed with my Ameraucanas . the breeder had 47 breeding pens and he toe punches the chicks. there is no way ill have related blood breeding in these Ams i got.

Last edited:
Burns me up that people steal pictures.... I knew I'd have to deal with it eventually but....

Someone is using my beautiful pullet to sell their CL pullets on RareBreedAuctions. Grrr... I'm hoping a stern message will fix it and I don't have to take legal action. Guess I've put off watermarking my photos too long.

Burns me up that people steal pictures.... I knew I'd have to deal with it eventually but....

Someone is using my beautiful pullet to sell their CL pullets on RareBreedAuctions. Grrr... I'm hoping a stern message will fix it and I don't have to take legal action. Guess I've put off watermarking my photos too long.
I am sorry that you have to deal with that!

Mine have changed color even with the same feed. But i did start using a different feed awhile back and the change in color was more pronounced. Some days they are blue and some days they have some green tint, some days they are pale. Its usually 4 or 5 eggs of the same color then i will get some bright blues. or 4 or 5 days of same color and get some pales. Its random.

I Switched to Ranch Way feed. IVe been impressed with it.
Ranch-Way is a mill in Fort Collins--they are good people. I like their 20% layer pellet the best because the pellets are a little smaller than Layena and Nutrena ( that I rotate in when I have a coupon), so its easier for them to eat plus I really like the 20% since its formulated for hens that get scratch or other feed. Can't comment if it changes the color of the eggs vs the other feeds since mine are too young to lay. Plus I can drive up to the mill and they load it in --can't get any fresher than that!

im thinking you cant just have a bunch bought from one person. I don't think the people selling them are worried about how then next person will be breeding them. people buy a bunch of brothers and sisters and don't have other stock to breed them back too. Even the ones i got from you have the same father. so those 4 females breed to the two males still share the same blood. I'm thinking that's why I'm getting bad hatches.  

I was really impressed with my Ameraucanas . the breeder had 47 breeding pens and he toe punches the chicks. there is no way ill have related blood breeding in these Ams i got. 

I came to that conclusion when 2 of my 3 original roosters died before they were a year old and one of my hens developed vision problems. There's no way to compensate for issues like this when your breeding stock originates in a single pair. I have decided to diversify a bit. I have chicks growing up from 2 different flocks. The ones from Rinda are very calm, they are bigger, the colors are different. In the meantime, I really like the shape and coloring of my current roo and my second generation pullets are looking good too. If I breed the 2 groups to each other, I can get the good qualities from both. I plan to add others as well.

We are fortunate to belong to this forum and can get eggs from reputable breeders/owners like each other and not be dependent on inbred, non purebred or even EE eggs being passed off as cream legbar eggs on Ebay and 6 months later finding that we have to start over.

If people tell me they are ordering on eBay, I try to redirect them!

Very impressed with Rare Breed Auctions. It took two messages, one telling them what had happened and one more giving them our website to prove where the photo is found and they are removing it right away. :)

No. This is the picture they stole. It was a 24 hour auction for a trio starting bid $100 if I remember right. It looks like they completely pulled the auction on them. It was a first-time auction for that seller. For once I was really glad my hubby was cruising the web for chickens LOL! We nipped it in the bud.

ETA: I can't usually tell my CL eggs apart but I caught this young hen (who is my favorite) laying one day and marked it before incubation. It hatched yesterday- it's a girl! Yay! Keeper for sure! I lost the tiny gray girl I posted a picture of last week though. :( Sad because I was really wanting to see how she grew out.

Last edited:
lonnyandrinda, I still would like to get some eggs from you at some point when I can. I have been saving these last two months for a new hatcher so I can hatch more at a time next year. I already had the GQF cabinet incubator, but now just ordered the matching hatcher. I'm really excited to get it. At any rate, that is a beautiful hen you have there. I hope to get some nicer ones than I have. I have been hatching some chicks & have lost a few so I'm still trying to see what I get from what I have. I'm getting some different shades of little cockerels that I want to grow out & see how they feather out. I have one really nice little cockerel out in a pen that is crested & has a really nice straight comb, but is only a chick yet, so I can't tell how his coloring will be. I got a new rooster recently from a different line & a little pullet along with him who hasn't laid yet. The roosters I have aren't really crested, but I have crested hens & am getting crested chicks. I'm excited to see how they grow out. I don't post much at all on this thread, I lurk all the time, but haven't posted much. I will have to post more as my chicks grow.

Back
Top Bottom