The Legbar Thread!

My 11 year old daughter came home from camp. I showed her the first of the Legbar eggs. She yells at me! "why are these in the fridge"!!!! She goes out to the coop and there is the latest egg. She grabs it, sticks it under her armpit and says this one is going in the incubator! Just as I am contemplating how I am going to hatch one egg :( , it falls and has a crack. And that is that.

Last edited:
My 11 year old daughter came home from camp. I showed her the first of the Legbar eggs. She yells at me! "why are these in the fridge"!!!! She goes out to the coop and there is the latest egg. She grabs it, sticks it under her armpit and says this one is going in the incubator! Just as I am contemplating how I am going to hatch one egg :( , if falls and has a crack. And that is that.
Figures! I would have tried to hatch them too! My 12 year old daughter and I swooned over our first Legbar egg, calling it our first baby Legbar & talking to it, until we tried to incubate it and discovered it to not be fertile. None of our Legbar hen's first eggs are fertile so far. Eggs from other hens in the same pen are fertile though. In fact, we just hatched 7 chicks from our RIR hen in the Legbar pen. Every egg we set of hers has hatched. There are 6 chipmink striped chicks, and 1 solid reddish blonde one.

Does anyone know if these colors mean anything as far as gender, in a RIR/Legbar cross?

Also does anyone know, is it normal for a rooster to avoid one particular hen? We have seen our Legbar roo mate with the other hens in the pen, but he does not go near the Legbar hen even though she is old enough to lay eggs. They do sleep next to each other on the same perch though. There are 5 hens in all in with him, but only 1 Legbar. The rest of our Legbar hens are too young still to put in there.

Figures! I would have tried to hatch them too! My 12 year old daughter and I swooned over our first Legbar egg, calling it our first baby Legbar & talking to it, until we tried to incubate it and discovered it to not be fertile. None of our Legbar hen's first eggs are fertile so far. Eggs from other hens in the same pen are fertile though. In fact, we just hatched 7 chicks from our RIR hen in the Legbar pen. Every egg we set of hers has hatched. There are 6 chipmink striped chicks, and 1 solid reddish blonde one.
Sorry about your eggs! I have 3 legbar pullets and we have just starting getting eggs from this week. Today 2 of my pullets are competing for the nest so I hope that means they are both ready to lay. I have a broody hen in my layer flock so I may try sticking them under her. I was waiting a couple weeks before testing for fertilization.

Good luck.. I have been hatching more Roosters then Hens...
hmm.png
I have also hatched a bunch of roos this year but will be looking to grow these out whether they are male or female and see what they look like as I am down to just my one Alpa roo and 4 females in my Legbar flock. (have a buyer for junior on craigslist) Not sure what I'm going to keep but will decide what to cull when I see what I have. I am in the process of building my second big coop and fixing the small dog house coop for the Chocolate Bantam Orps. I'm thinking of keeping just the 5 BCM girls and not keeping a Marans boy from my current batch and trying some nice dark shipped eggs next year for a boy - not sure yet what I want to do there. Then I have my Jubilee trio that I hope will start laying some time this fall and I can put some eggs in the bator then.
Since I am down to just 4 CL girls - some of these are from my birds and some are from another breeder so it'll be a nice surprise all around since some are from my juvie pullet and I've not hatched her eggs before. Some I just put in and some have been in for just under 2 weeks. Still have to see what's fertile or not in the second batch.
The egg sizes range quite a bit on the other eggs and the color is from blue to aqua. Will try to figure out a way to section off my second incubator during lockdown so I can tell what's from what eggs....if I can.
I really should not be doing this but............

Coop #3 will have to wait for next summer.

• LiAuEv I had the same thoughts about my younger pullet and her early eggs were not fertile but they are now developing in the incubator so hopefully in time yours will to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom