The little surprises in life... but preferably not in a potato

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkiechicken, Aug 23, 2008.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

So I dug up my potato plants and got some really big one pounders and a huge pile of tiny ones along with the majority in between types.

Well, being lazy I took all the baby ones that are maybe the size of a shooter marble to a golf ball, washed them really really well and scrubbed them down. I steamed them till soft and was enjoying dipped in ketchup. Well, "crunch" and a "hmm" with another hesitant "c-r-u-n-c.." off it rolls my tongue onto the plate. Ewww!!! There was a millipede IN the potato and I nearly ate it!!! This defiantly ruins my first meal of unpeeled potatoes... [​IMG]

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm with you on that one! (a vegetarian's bad dream~!)
    JJ

3. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    EWWWWWWWWWW I think that's why I can't eat them with out cutting them in 1/2 first haha

When do you know when it time to harvest potatoes, this year is my first time growing them and the plants look great, but I don't know when I can dig in.

4. silkiechicken

After they flower if you want "new potatoes" and a few weeks after the vines die down if you want "storage" potatoes.

I don't do "new" potatoes because I feel it is a waste of a plant because if you dig it up a few weeks after the leaves die, you'll get big ones and a ton of little ones still. Big ones can be used for curries and such if you don't want to eat them whole.

After digging them up, leave them on the ground for a day if it's sunny, dust off, bring in and let the skins "cure" for a few days before washing the dirt off if you so desire.

5. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Ewwwww is right, what are you trying to ruin those potatoes?????
    Dipping them in ketchup, EVERYONE knows they should be dipped in Butter, and the Millipede is just a little extra protien, sorta like thinking your eating a hershey bar then finding out it a hersheys with Almonds. YUM [​IMG]

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Bluh.[​IMG] But as stated...whats a little extra protein????[​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

With a 30 lb turkey in the fridge, I won't be on a protein shortage!

I'm still that little kid on the inside who likes to drown everything in ketchup. Ketchup on fries, ketchup on chicken, ketchup on eggs, ketchup on fish sticks. mmm fish sticks.

I don't actually know if we have any butter in the house... butter isn't really a common topping in traditional Asian foods. There's lots of soy sauce and sesame oil here though!

9. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Ewwwwwww

I had that happen to me with a fresh tomato once.*shudder* I always cut them up now before I eat them

10. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    ...................ketchup drenched millipede.......................yum..................... [​IMG] probably better than just plain though. I also love ketchup, especially on potatoes. YUM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by