The Lonely Chick

Sarah12987

Chirping
Jul 4, 2020
I had a broody hen that I decided to let hatch out eggs. There were 4 eggs in total. 2 of them hatched, a day apart from each other. After that, momma abandoned the other 2 eggs. So I put them in an incubator and 2 days later one hatched. The other egg.... Didn't make it.

The thing is, the mother wants absolutely nothing to do with this chick, other than kill it. So I set up a brooder for it. Is it OK to keep this chick by itself until the other 2 chicks part ways with mama and then keep them together until they're all 3 big enough to add to the flock?

Keep the lone chick for 2 week by that time it will have it's wing feathers. Then start integration with the other chicks and the hen. You have to be there with them to monitor the reaction of the group to intervene if things aren't going well. Remember to be repetitive with your introduction, chickens like repetition.

If you mean "attempt integegration at two weeks" with the mother hen and her two current chicks, I don't think there's any way the broody will accept the 3 chicks you will care for. Please let us know if you are sucessful; there are exceptions to every rule, and I don't mind being proven wrong. The upside is that assuming you are experiencing typical summer heat, all 5 chicks should be fine without supplemental heat by the time they turn 2-3 weeks old. That will require removing the broody's two chicks prematurely, but she will get over it if combining the 5 asap is easiest for you.

If you mean "attempt integegration at two weeks" with the mother hen and her two current chicks, I don't think there's any way the broody will accept the 3 chicks you will care for. Please let us know if you are sucessful; there are exceptions to every rule, and I don't mind being proven wrong. The upside is that assuming you are experiencing typical summer heat, all 5 chicks should be fine without supplemental heat by the time they turn 2-3 weeks old. That will require removing the broody's two chicks prematurely, but she will get over it if combining the 5 asap is easiest for you.
Is not so much that it's easier. I can take care of the other 3. Honestly I'm curious to see the difference between chicken raised chickens and human raised chickens.

Experiences will differ, but I have had well over 100 broody hens raise chicks through the years, and overall have found that the mommas that are friendliest to Me and trust me the most, transfer their friendliness and trust to their chicks. For example, when I offer a special treat such as scrambled eggs and a broody immediately and urgently tidbits her chicks to come get the treat I've brought, this teaches her chicks that I am "good." On the other hand, a broody that "growls" at her chicks to warn them away when I appear teaches her chicks that I am dangerous, and they should not trust me. The innate temperament of each chick is important too, but I've found that overall the temperament of each broody is the main factor. I learned this because I used to let every hen who went broody hatch chicks. Now, when i see they've gone broody, quite a few hens hear me tell them "Nuh uh, no way", and off to broody jail they go!

Back
Top Bottom