The love childen's Adventures...sad update

I know there are I married a person just like Leon my DH. No DH did not take it personal he actually had to laugh because of the size difference. And the fact that Leon was just doing his job. Of course Leon kept rest of the girls in the coop until it was done. But I am glad that DH was so gentle with her. and since Leon did flog him he had to laugh which made things a little easier on him. I do miss my girl but the flock is doing good and now I know Leon will do what ever he can to protect his girls. Thanks for all the kind words.

Last edited:
Trouble, last night when I went out to pen up the girls and Leon I got their treat (scratch mixed with BOSS) as I was entering the pen to throw the first handful, Leon flogged my leg, I finished handing out the scratch and caught him and carried him around with me for a while, I thought that would fix him. Well today I went to do a head count and was shaking the treat bucket, and the little rooster hit the back of my legs. He once again got carried around. This is one little rooster is getting himself into some big trouble. Good news is that we had 3 successful bumblefoot surgeries. I am thinking that Pumpkin had something other wrong with her leg then bumblefoot. I figured Leon is feeling big due to his age please tell me this stage will pass. Leon does not do this to anyone but me so far. I am thinking of adding another pullet to my flock, but still not sure if I am ready for a new girl. The babies have started to lay eggs and since they are laying my big girls have decided to take a break. I think the heat is causing them to slack off on the egg laying. I hope everyone is having a great summer.

Sounds like poor little leon thinks you are part of the flock and wants to make sure you know he is top roo.... keep up the carrying around, hopefully that will settle him down! glad he is the size he is, not a BIG roo....

Well the other day I went and got two new pullets they are a barnyard mix and are spending the next 30 days in quarantine, I went to check on them yesterday and while I was checking on the new girls and Leon heard them making noises and decided that I was upsetting the girls and tried his little chicken heart out to get into their temporary home. He was not successful in his attempt. We will hopefully have the new coop and walk way done by the time their quarantine is over. Things have been rather busy here. I have been taking care of an elderly friend so I have not been able to spend as much time working with the chickens and my garden. I hope everyone is having a cool summer.

Tell Leon that Grandma said to put him in time out if he misbehaves. Carry him around and discuss soup recipes. If that doesn't work, carry him by his feet and tell him Grandma is very proud of him for being such a good rooster, but he is not the Big Boss. If he wants to be the Big Boss, he will have to get a job and buy his own chicken feed. That is just the way it is. Tough Love.

Leon and Tyson's Grandma

Thank you Mrs Chickendad I have been doing that, Leon did flog me again this morning and he got carried around and we talked about chicken noodles. He has since been a good boy so we shall see. I am the only one he does this to. So I can't figure it out. I will give him your message today.

The reason is we might be able to rent a farm with 10 acres which would be great for my Hobby farm. This place needs a lot of work but we would do the work for the rent which would be a great help to us and the owners, the owners are the children of the elderly friend I was helping. She died on Wednesday her funeral is on Saturday. I miss her already. I do love her farm it is so nice and would be a great thing for our family. Leon is still in re-training he will sometimes flog me and sometimes he doesn't so I am not sure what is up in that little chicken brain of his. I will let everyone know if we get the farm I hope so.

Quote:
Sounds like you are having a fun experience with looking at a farm...I wish you the best. I have been following your posts of Leon, I do hope he improves soon. Tyson is doing fine and has showed no agression towards us, yet. But he is aggressive toward one of the hens and I have to at times jump in front of him to leave her alone...his chasing her in 100 degree weather is not good for either one of them. She is always so stressed by this...I do not know why he has it out for her.

Well things have been very busy here. One of Leon's ladies went broody, Princess a EE bantam. She was given 2 eggs to sit on, one was a EE bantam egg the other was my only Ameracuana hen that I have. One of the eggs hatched this morning the Ameracuana egg Both the mommy and chick are doing well so far the bantam egg has not hatched not sure it will. I have enjoyed watching the process of the hen hatching her own eggs. I moved Princess to her own home so her and her baby have their own area, Leon has not had a chance to meet his new baby. I can't wait to watch this little one grow up. This was my first broody hen. I will post some pictures of the new mom and her baby trying to let them get to know each other right now.

It has been a sad time Leon lost two of his girls Charlie the Ameracuana and also Star the black sex link. Also a stray cat got the chick that princess hatched out. I have been trying to figure out what to do. I almost wanted to give up on having chickens but I decided that I love having chickens. I am trying to decide if I want to hatch out some eggs or buying some chicks. I want some green egg layers and some Marans (dark eggs). I am still thinking and trying to figure out what I want to do. Hope everyone has had a good winter.

Back
Top Bottom