The Middle Tennessee Thread

checking in to see how pooh is doing this morning. hope to hear that she's snapped out of it
smile.png

Thanks, y'all. Somehow it seems it is always our favorites that die first.
sad.png

The happy news for the day is that babies are hatching out in my bator. Seven are out and peeping away and another 5 have already pipped. There are 24 in there, so hopefully lots more will make it out today. This is baby week at my house. There are 24 in bator one, 6 in bator two, 10 under ameraucana broodies and another 6 EE eggs under silkie broodies. I am about to be covered up!! Anybody want EE and ameraucana chicks?
smile.png

The insurance man is coming out this afternoon to look at my roof (lots of shingles off due to the last tornado round). Let's pray that he says they will pay for a new roof. I need one and just don't have the cash to cover it all myself. Fingers crossed that he thinks it looks bad.
fl.gif

I would love some Ameraucana chicks, but I need to be sure they are female. Is that possible with the little ones? My husband has only agreed to help with the coop overhaul if I promised no roosters
smile.png

I agree, the favorites seem to go first. When I had my silkies in adored thenlittle misfit. The other chickens shunned her, so she bonded with me. She'd follow me around and sit in my lap. Back then I let them free range during the day a bit as we were in suburbia, thought it as safe. A red tailed hawk killed her right in front of me
sad.png

Tracy, I have gotten pretty good at guessing by week 2-3, but it really is just an educated guess at that point. It is usually week 6-7 that I am closer to 100% accurate. Plus I seem to have a ton of black hatchlings and I know you are looking for other colors.

What we need is a poultry processor in Middle TN. I always have tons of roosters to dispose of. It would be nice to turn them into dinner (without me actually having to whack off their heads).

So I'm thinking about getting out of the BBS ameraucana world altogether. I LOVE the blue eggs, but the actual hens are freaky wild. The EEs and barred rocks and red stars that I have hand raised have all been super friendly. I have yet to make an AM friendly. They always act like I am killing them! Plus, the whole point of that line was to generate sales of eggs and chicks. I have sold some, but the overall market seems flooded. My local buyers don't seem to want them and the online world has a ton of people selling them. Dunno. I have been pondering it for a while. I'd likely keep a couple of hens in my laying flock and move the rooster and the rest of the hens on. Dunno. I need to figure out what new breed I want to work on.
smile.png
Choices, choices, choices. They are lovely birds and do lay a beautiful egg.

Anne sorry to hear about Pooh..some real nice chickens were lost this week for sure.
Tracyree-sexing Ameraucana chicks at hatch is less than easy.It usually takes a few weeks to get a good idea..then there are late blooming roosters
he.gif

We had 20 hatch this time..so many cuties there.Wheaten Ameraucana and Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chicks are for sale.

Back
Top Bottom