The Middle Tennessee Thread

I was told something along the lines that as long as I don't have a business selling eggs then I don't have to have a permit. Can anyone confirm/deny???? At farmers' markets around here I see people selling in old egg cartons for $2. I sell to my neighbors for $1.50 but they are poor missionaries like me and help take care of things when I am gone. I charge by mom more when I visit
gig.gif
and she gladly pays it.

I was told something along the lines that as long as I don't have a business selling eggs then I don't have to have a permit. Can anyone confirm/deny???? At farmers' markets around here I see people selling in old egg cartons for $2. I sell to my neighbors for $1.50 but they are poor missionaries like me and help take care of things when I am gone. I charge by mom more when I visit
gig.gif
and she gladly pays it.

You have to basically be a BIG egg farm to have a permit to sell eggs..... if you have like less than 15,000 doz a year you are good to sell eggs anyway you want. I would use new clean cartons at a flea market but just selling to friends and neighbors used ones are fine. No rules.

Question.... Y'all are smart people and might can help DIRECT me to the right place.

My dad has a creek running through his back and side yard in Nashville. It had a retaining wall until the BIG FLOOD and all the subsequent minor flooding had not helped. It was just a bricko block type wall along the side and in the curve. He had a tree fall in the ice storm that may have done the wall in for good. I know water ways are not owned by the property owner but not sure if anyone can help him get it repaired. He got a bid of $39,000 to fix it.... I don't think he should have to fix it but if something is not done he will lose his back yard soon.

I just don't have any idea who to call..... State or Army Corp of Eng.? I kinda doubt there is any help to fix the problem, but he wants me to try.
Do you have a storm water dept. there? i would start with them, if they are not in charge- they should know who is.

gig.gif
and she gladly pays it.
https://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=32alh9r2smba6, I found this and saved it to refer to. it should answer all your questions about egg sale except one: do you need a rider/ or umbrella policy with your home owners for liability? call your insurance agent and ask. DMrippy is correct as far as I can tell, as long as you sell eggs from your flock only and are under 3,000 birds no license required. but the clean and keep at a certain temp. applies.

Last edited:
https://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=32alh9r2smba6, I found this and saved it to refer to. it should answer all your questions about egg sale except one: do you need a rider/ or umbrella policy with your home owners for liability? call your insurance agent and ask. DMrippy is correct as far as I can tell, as long as you sell eggs from your flock only and are under 3,000 birds no license required. but the clean and keep at a certain temp. applies.
I can't open the link but this is the part I was referring to: "Accordingly this exemption from licensure should be limited in its application to those individuals engaged in relatively small sales of eggs from their own flocks and not be deemed
applicable to those persons selling eggs as a commercial busines
s."

Bold added for emphasis. My accountant wants us to officially become a business but my worry is that by doing so I will open myself up to licensure.

Found the NPIP Stuff

NPIP info
TN Dr. Sara Clariday, Tennessee Department of Agriculture, Ellington Agricultural Center, Box 40627,
Melrose Station, Nashville 37204. Phone: (615)837-5184 E-mail: [email protected]
Tina Rogers, Tennessee Department of Agriculture, Ellington Agricultural Center, Box 40627, Melrose Station,
Nashville 37204. Phone (615)837-5120, FAX (615)837-5250.
E-mail: [email protected]
Call Tina
Make an appt for a vet to come out
They will need some water, a table to sorts for the testing equipment, some "chicken rustlers" (usually you unless you have some kids) and $25.

Back
Top Bottom