The Middle Tennessee Thread

I have a question for someone that knows a bit about genetics...
What causes barring?
And what does barring look like in a juvenile?
I have GLW over RIR crosses (2 weeks old) and they look like the might become barred or partially barred. Would the gene from the lacing possibly be the cause of this. The primary flight wings are red with gold lacing but the secondaries compared to my pure GLWs are more striped/barred.
Not sure if this would be barring or just a coincidental pattern.

The barring happens on my BLRW too. Probably just the pattern working. In a few weeks you will probably see some lacing.

We leave in an hour and a half, down to knoxville and over to Cleveland then north.

Text me a pic of that roo and tell me what you want in trade. I don't have any BR egg till next week I moved everyone around. I can bring you a pullet more if you want. I think I have 3 that are just extras I have 10 in that pen now 3 hens are sold and I only want to keep 4.

So when does everyone cull juvies? Donna has the 'roo guy' what does he do with them? I have about 6 of one kind from a hatch and I do want to breed some, so I think I have to wait at least a but to figure out which I want to breed, but if you are going for only pullets, do you cull early, how do you cull, and what do you do with them? Are they safe for compost, is it better to wait to dress them out? I know it is all opinion, but since I'm new to everything not Cornish cross, I'll take out.

Both my roo guy either eat them or raise thereto be eaten. One guy can't brood them so he gets the.older roos. One guy takes my day olds up to about a month. Then what is left are usually somebody need to grow out and when I do my next culling the other roo guy gets them. Lots of people just eat their extra roos but I hatch too many to do that.

Sounds like the chicken train is either driving about 2 miles from my farm, or making a big circle around me, can't exactly tell.
Wish I had some spare $ or something to trade , hate to miss the opportunity, but won't have pure eggs for a couple more weeks :(
Oh, well, if there is a next time do let me know in advance as I should have SFH & CL by then...

Meanwhile, my crazy-broody-pullet has hatched at least 3 healthy chicks from the 9 eggs I switched her onto a couple days ago,
and she appears to believe more will hatch so I've got a surprisingly diligent new broody :) and coincidently I found another recipient today for my pay-it-forward mutt EE project so nice timing too.

I
Ok... Weird!
My middle daughter manages a store in Turkey creek. What store are you?

I run the Hallmark store next to bed bath and beyond ... Where does your daughter manage? My wife is part of the management team at super target across the street from me. Lol small world

[duote name="JW12" url="/t/440277/the-middle-tennessee-thread/14340#post_13358144"]I
Ok... Weird!
My middle daughter manages a store in Turkey creek. What store are you?

I run the Hallmark store next to bed bath and beyond ... Where does your daughter manage? My wife is part of the management team at super target across the street from me. Lol small world[/quote]

She managed the Pacsun there until recently. She decided she didn't want a lifelong career in retail, so she moved on. Tough hours in retail. Even tougher to be only 21, manage your own store, and realize no one but yourself has any work ethic. Good life lesson though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom