The Middle Tennessee Thread

So I had a bit of a bug problem when I moved some logs out of the new coop area to build the runs..... so I set a chicken loose on them... she found more than worms, grubs, and bugs.... SHE ATE 3 SALAMANDERS!!!!

I
Quote: Turkey Creek is a MALL?

Is there still and Apple Barn in Knoxville????????
fl.gif
I have been know to make day trips to the mountains just to eat there. I think I saw one in Knoxville years ago. I have been married for 7 years and have not made those trips since.....
hmm.png

Any recommendations on something we could do in a short time with a 3 and 5 year old?

Whoa never saw a chicken eat a salamander lol That would be fun to watch the chase
smile.png
I had one chicken I saw her eat a snake like spaghetti
smile.png
Its pretty crazy. We live by a shallow creek so we have lots of salamanders and she found a nest. There wasnt much of a chase. It was literally "warp speed". I thought they were funny runners anyway but once you see them go that fast, there is nothing that will make you forget it. The second and third ones ran under her beak so there was no running to catch them but she took the third one running through the yard shaking it like a dog with a rope toy. It was still gone in about 60 seconds. It was probably pretty similar to the snake eating. Just maybe not as long.

I
Ok... Weird!

My middle daughter manages a store in Turkey creek. What store are you?

I run the Hallmark store next to bed bath and beyond ... Where does your daughter manage? My wife is part of the management team at super target across the street from me. Lol small world

Turkey Creek is a MALL? 

Is there still and Apple Barn in Knoxville????????   :fl    I have been know to make day trips to the mountains just to eat there.  I think I saw one in Knoxville years ago.  I have been married for 7 years and have not made those trips since..... :/

Any recommendations on something we could do in a short time with a 3 and 5 year old? 

Turkey creek isn't an indoor mall... it's more like a new large mega strip mall between the Campbell station and Lovell Rd exits in Knoxville.
There used to be an Apple Barn at Campbell station but it closed.

So I had a bit of a bug problem when I moved some logs out of the new coop area to build the runs..... so I set a chicken loose on them... she found more than worms, grubs, and bugs.... SHE ATE 3 SALAMANDERS!!!!
Unless you were really near to a creek, those were probably skinks instead of salamanders. They do like to hide in logs. I saw a couple scurrying yesterday from under a wood pile while I was painting the chicken coop and wondered what chickens would think of that. They are pretty good size. Didn't imagine one chicken could down three of them or even catch three. I have come to notice how fast the little chicks can be already though. Maybe if we had less skinks we would have less snakes too. I only know about skinks because I have a son who used to be obsessed with all thinks lizardy. He has a bearded dragon and has wanted a snake but I told him he can have a snake when he has his own house to put it in.

Quote: Turkey Creek is a MALL?

Is there still and Apple Barn in Knoxville????????
fl.gif
I have been know to make day trips to the mountains just to eat there. I think I saw one in Knoxville years ago. I have been married for 7 years and have not made those trips since.....
hmm.png

Turkey creek isn't an indoor mall... it's more like a new large mega strip mall between the Campbell station and Lovell Rd exits in Knoxville.
There used to be an Apple Barn at Campbell station but it closed.
hit.gif
They had an Apple barn here until the flood. It was not a FOOD place....Just a snack place and store.

Unless you were really near to a creek, those were probably skinks instead of salamanders. They do like to hide in logs. I saw a couple scurrying yesterday from under a wood pile while I was painting the chicken coop and wondered what chickens would think of that. They are pretty good size. Didn't imagine one chicken could down three of them or even catch three. I have come to notice how fast the little chicks can be already though. Maybe if we had less skinks we would have less snakes too. I only know about skinks because I have a son who used to be obsessed with all thinks lizardy. He has a bearded dragon and has wanted a snake but I told him he can have a snake when he has his own house to put it in.
EDIT: before you read this... i just googled skink and at least the first 2 were skinks. Still not sure about the grey/brown one

nope, salamanders. the creek was like 10-20 feet away. one of them may have been a skink... it was a different color entirely but they moved so fast i didnt get a great look at them. IDK i thought skink too, but my DH said they were salamanders. (First thing out of my mouth, in more of a scream, was "AHHHHHH SKIIIINK!!!" Kinda felt like an idiot when he said it was a salamander. but 2 were very bright colored, maybe blue and greenish? and the other was bigger and grey or light brown maybe? When they are running from a chicken, its hard to tell lol

the first two were pretty small, maybe 3-4 inches long with the tail & very skinny and the big one was maybe 5-6 inches long maybe the fattness of a small gecko?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom