The Middle Tennessee Thread

I guess I lied, people do say that... It's mostly the housewives, though. The twenty-five year olds married to fifty year-olds, oh yes there's a lot here...
I pretty much avoid that area for that reason. I'd end up punching some one. Probably one of those 25 yr olds married to 50 year olds. That's like me marrying someone my dads age! EWWWW

Haha! I've grown up here and go to Ravenwood High School, "number one school in the state, community of scholars, average ACT score of 26" I'm just used to it now, if you punched someone I would not blame you, id probably pull up a chair.

Haha! I've grown up here and go to Ravenwood High School, "number one school in the state, community of scholars, average ACT score of 26" I'm just used to it now, if you punched someone I would not blame you, id probably pull up a chair.
I grew up in West Virginia. The whole state is basically poor. The more well off people are still middle class and the very few wealthy people went to college for 12+ years. So I'm not used to the stuck up Richy type at all.

The neighborhood I live in would literally be considered one of the lower end places. "Lower end". Where all of our houses are worth 600k and our lots are an acre... Yeah.. Lower end. Kids in my school get Range Rovers and Ram trucks for their first cars... I mean good for them, but still.
I love having the duck and ummmm.. Soon to be duck and geese, because it sets us apart from everyone else. I grew up in Georgia where my first pet was a horse and I spent every day at the ranch and barn my grandma owned, having the duck reminds me of where I began and it'll always stay with me.

I have guinea! My first hatch of the year! I think most may be sold already LOL. They are due today and yesterday I had 2 out with more pipped.

I have guinea! My first hatch of the year! I think most may be sold already LOL. They are due today and yesterday I had 2 out with more pipped.
Congrats! Have been thinking of getting some, but cannot talk the DH into yet. I have a batch of EE's and Ameracauna's in the bator. My third hatch and so far so good, 2 out and 4 pipped. I am trying to figure this hatching thing out.
hu.gif

Well that is really sad. Twenty-five dollar tax to keep chickens. Anyway they can make a buck to waste on something, they will.

It is and it isn't. To serious poultry people it seems stupid. It only makes sense to provide adequately for your birds. Like it was said in "Men in Black": A Person is smart. People are Stupid." Twenty-five dollars stops impulsive people who don't know nothin' from starting a chicken project from the wrong end. Like getting the chickens before the coop or even reading up on what you do with chickens and what they need. If they have to put out $25 to start with they may research it a bit before plunging. That said I have no doubt that the main reason for the tax it to raise money. However, it isn't a bad thing to have controls on the number of birds inside a city. Too many people raising too many birds and not taking care of them properly and you could have a health issue.

It is very important to present to cities that as poultriers, we are a responsible lot. (What every you do don't explain chicken math to them!
lau.gif
) I believe that one of the reasons that many cities are warming up to the idea of backyard poultry again (There was lots of it pre-WWII) is because they saw by example of New Orleans that a city is not invulnerable to a disaster. I believe that they are warming to the idea of local food resources even within the city itself. The idea that must be fought against is that agriculture (in general) is dirty and ugly and perhaps disease ridden. Why the "magic" of the grocery store makes it all clean in peoples heads still boggles me.

It important for us to take newbies under our wings and guide them to responsible ownership of poultry. This protects us in the end so it is not just a selfless expenditure of energy.

Last edited:
It is and it isn't. To serious poultry people it seems stupid. It only makes sense to provide adequately for your birds. Like it was said in "Men in Black": A Person is smart. People are Stupid." Twenty-five dollars stops impulsive people who don't know nothin' from starting a chicken project from the wrong end. Like getting the chickens before the coop or even reading up on what you do with chickens and what they need. If they have to put out $25 to start with they may research it a bit before plunging. That said I have no doubt that the main reason for the tax it to raise money. However, it isn't a bad thing to have controls on the number of birds inside a city. Too many people raising too many birds and not taking care of them properly and you could have a health issue.

It is very important to present to cities that as poultriers, we are a responsible lot. (What every you do don't explain chicken math to them!
lau.gif
) I believe that one of the reasons that many cities are warming up to the idea of backyard poultry again (There was lots of it pre-WWII) is because they saw by example of New Orleans that a city is not invulnerable to a disaster. I believe that they are warming to the idea of local food resources even within the city itself. The idea that must be fought against is that agriculture (in general) is dirty and ugly and perhaps disease ridden. Why the "magic" of the grocery store makes it all clean in peoples heads still boggles me.

It important for us to take newbies under our wings and guide them to responsible ownership of poultry. This protects us in the end so it is not just a selfless expenditure of energy.
I certainly agree with responsibility in ownership. Look at the puppy mills that are so horrible. But chicken keeping should actually be a way for the poor to help themselves in more ways than just with food. It would be a way to teach responsibility and caring to their children maybe get them away for video games (of course that part would be helpful for everyone nowadays) Chickens don't necessarily need a lot of initial start up here in Tennessee as they would in colder and more arid climates but there is expense, and 25 dollars is just one more expense. Right now in the cities it is often the more affluent that are wanting to be keeping chickens and politicians just see it as a way to get more money and control. Just like with puppy mills abuse will still go on with those who don't want to follow the rules whether there is a tax or not.

Back
Top Bottom