The Middle Tennessee Thread

So I don't like to pick favorites, but one of my Silkie hens that followed me around, sunned on my feet, and was basically a dog passed away in my arms tonight. i brought her and a couple others back from college with me, so with not having and knowing a lot of people here I spent most time with my animals (duh). I haven't cried over a chicken death in a lonnggg time. I feel pretty empty and low :(

I lost my "baby" today, too. Princess (Dobermann) was 11 years old. I'm crying with you!

So sorry Katie1500……I lost my first and favorite girl not long ago. Her name was Oprah and a Dominique, she always sat in my lap, followed me around, took blueberries out of the mouth of my grandson (her parlor trick) without every touching him, and was everyone's favorite. My daughters dog got out and killed her. I balled like a baby right there in the backyard, no telling what my neighbors thought. It was such a loss….word must have passed because I got condolence cards from neighbors and cookies….they used to bring their kids over to see her and she loved visiting with them. 
My point is, most people might think they are just chickens, but they are pets and part of the family….at least in my case….and it's the same as losing a dog or cat.

My Dom is my favorite and quite a character too. We lost one to a hawk, who we loved as well, but not quite as much as her sister, Loretta. I just had 1 dozen shipped from eastern KY as I had a terrible time trying to find true Doms around here. Only 1 hatched!!! If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your Dom girl from? Was it locally? We are considering purchasing a good quality Dom roo as there seem to be none in the area and breeding from a trio as we are obsessed with this breed.

I got her when I was just starting and researched the ones I wanted but didn't know at the time to find them locally from breeders listed here so she actually came from the Williamson County Co-op….I was lucky

Check out Tennessee breeders list…. find a post by DM Rippy and she has it listed there….I noticed MSMEOWER has Dominiques as well as someone in Westmoreland. You can trust the breeders on this list….good luck!

My Dom is my favorite and quite a character too. We lost one to a hawk, who we loved as well, but not quite as much as her sister, Loretta. I just had 1 dozen shipped from eastern KY as I had a terrible time trying to find true Doms around here. Only 1 hatched!!! If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your Dom girl from? Was it locally? We are considering purchasing a good quality Dom roo as there seem to be none in the area and breeding from a trio as we are obsessed with this breed.

I also watch several other threads and saw your comment on the AM thread about the no-crow collar. I didn't want to clutter up that thread with questions. ;)

Please let us know how it works out. I'm in a POA (although we have 10 acres) and I'm not even supposed to have any chickens. A roo crowing in my neighborhood could cost me all of my girls (I have about 40...I'm a rebel!). I am growing out 2 sets of chicks I hatched (both are somewhat rare "breeds"). I would like to keep one roo out of each hatch, if I can find a good no-crow collar and get it to work properly.

Which collar are you using? Besides the popular no-crow collar, I've seen another version from Australia...

I also watch several other threads and saw your comment on the AM thread about the no-crow collar. I didn't want to clutter up that thread with questions. ;)

Please let us know how it works out. I'm in a POA (although we have 10 acres) and I'm not even supposed to have any chickens. A roo crowing in my neighborhood could cost me all of my girls (I have about 40...I'm a rebel!). I am growing out 2 sets of chicks I hatched (both are somewhat rare "breeds"). I would like to keep one roo out of each hatch, if I can find a good no-crow collar and get it to work properly.

Which collar are you using? Besides the popular no-crow collar, I've seen another version from Australia...

The regular one. So far it works pretty well. You have to adjust it every few days but his frequency has reduced considerably when he gets one out. The trick now is too keep it from loosening every few days.

We are testing it on our mutt roo who will go to the stew pot, to keep from stressing the Ameraucana we are keeping. It's sort of a practice run as our AM isn't crowing yet.

Last edited:
Thank you all for comforting me. Most everyone doesn't understand the connection you form with your chickens so I couldn't talk to anyone about her.

Anyways, Sperry had her proper funeral this afternoon. It definitely wasn't the same being back out at the coop without her being there to be the first to greet me. I just feel like she was taken so soon. But hence the world of chicken sometimes things happen but I feel like it always happens to my favorites... Or should I say... The ones that love me the most ha <3 also much love to everyone else in these recent posts that have lost one recently as well

Hey TN friends! We have a flock of sick chickens on our hands and need some advice. We lost one chicken already and another is showing signs of illness like the previous. We think it may be Coccidiosis so we are treating for that currently. NOW we have one who is having upper respiratory issues also. Which I'm not surprised with the cool mornings and evenings we are having. How do we treat both at the same time? We saw that using VetRX is a good thing to try. But it's pretty pricy and I think you can only get it online. Or should we go straight to antibiotics? Thanks for any feedback!!!

Hey TN friends! We have a flock of sick chickens on our hands and need some advice. We lost one chicken already and another is showing signs of illness like the previous. We think it may be Coccidiosis so we are treating for that currently. NOW we have one who is having upper respiratory issues also. Which I'm not surprised with the cool mornings and evenings we are having. How do we treat both at the same time? We saw that using VetRX is a good thing to try. But it's pretty pricy and I think you can only get it online. Or should we go straight to antibiotics? Thanks for any feedback!!!

Are you seeing bloody poop? By bloody poop I mean just BLOOD.... like someone got cut. That is a major sign of Cocci. How old are they? Usually that is something younger birds get like under 2 months old. They can get it older but I have not seen it happen. If that is what it is Corid will stop it in a couple of days but treat for a week.

The raspy sounds like CRD. There is no cure for that and our weather does not cause it. Some will die from it some will recover but always a carrier and it can flair up down the road when they are stressed.

Poo chart just in case http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited:
Are you seeing bloody poop?  By bloody poop I mean just BLOOD.... like someone got cut.  That is a major sign of Cocci.  How old are they?  Usually that is something younger birds get like under 2 months old.  They can get it older but I have not seen it happen.  If that is what it is Corid will stop it in a couple of days but treat for a week.

The raspy sounds like CRD.  There is no cure for that and our weather does not cause it.  Some will die from it some will recover but always a carrier and it can flair up down the road when they are stressed.

Poo chart just in case http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Not real bloody no. :-/ There was dark red mixed in with her pooh, and having no idea what else it could be just thought we would try something rather than nothing. Our bird that died just had extremely watery pooh. No other symptoms. It's all so confusing.

I'll look over our other gal and see if is having any discharge with her symptoms yet. If not it could be CRD like you suggested. She sounds AWEFUL.

Thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom