The Middle Tennessee Thread

Thank you. Losing 1 is hard enough, but losing 3 is devastating. I'm afraid to let Buffy out now. I've repaired the fence, but still afraid for her. She may come in at night, so I feel better about it.

I am in McMinnville, TN. We just got into chickens this year in March. My 5 year seemed so drawn to the chicks and ducks that we seen at different places this year. She would just sit and hold and talk to the baby chicks forever. She was asked if she had chicks and told she was a natural from several different people. When her older sister called and said she heard peeping at Tractor Supply and wanted to get Kenz chicks for Easter, somehow, "Do they have ducks too?" came out of my mouth.
She checks on them as soon as she wakes up, as soon as she gets home from school and until dark at night. She plays with them inside and out. She brings one - or 2 if its one that needs a friend (the ones that chirp without a friend) to bed with her at night. I take it back out when she falls asleep. She pushes them around in her stroller and shopping carts and everything. She even talks daddy into babysitting if she needs to go to the bathroom or something quick. They still let her do all this now that some are going on 12 weeks old. I knew she loved them but had no idea she would love them as much as she does. 2 of her older brothers pretend to not like them but I catch them commenting and checking on them regurely. The 17 year old told his dad last week he is going to have ducks when he moves out and maybe chickens.
We have 5 Easter eggers, 3 frizzeled cochins, 3 silkies and 3 ducks. I am finishing up my 4th coop hopefully today to keep the breeds seperate... or at least the roosters away from the other breeds of hens when they are older.
I would love to meet with others to see how they have their systems set up. The more I learn about chickens the more I love them.

Yes that is her swimming in our pool earlier this year (before chlorine or anything was added) with one of her ducks.

Back
Top Bottom