The Middle Tennessee Thread

I didn't know you had Barnevelders! Were they just too quiet or didn't have personality? I'd be nervous to get Marans although I bet yours are pretty. I'd just worry about my Orpington too she is so passive. If I change my mind I will let you know. It's good to know we have a few Marans fans around here. They are pretty and lay gorgeous eggs.

The Barnie boys turned into jerks when they hit puberty... not aggressive just jerks... the girls were antisocial to the max... they just didn't fit in...

My 4 all look like this...

2 olive egger chicks I hatched from their pullet eggs...

I'm only going to keep her, my blue girl... I just love her coloring... mine live with Orps too, just so you know... but once these get grabbed up, that's all I have... just no room for them anymore... cree57i has Marans as well though... :)

ETA: oh, they have Silkies in with them too, no issues... :)

Last edited:
The Barnie boys turned into jerks when they hit puberty... not aggressive just jerks... the girls were antisocial to the max... they just didn't fit in...

My 4 all look like this...

2 olive egger chicks I hatched from their pullet eggs...

I'm only going to keep her, my blue girl... I just love her coloring... mine live with Orps too, just so you know... but once these get grabbed up, that's all I have... just no room for them anymore... cree57i has Marans as well though... :)

ETA: oh, they have Silkies in with them too, no issues... :)

Thats good to know about the Barnevelders. I guess I just got bad Maran info- yours are really pretty!

I have a Queen Silvia flock that wants a new home. Queen Silvia's are a very rare breed from Sweden. It is estimated there are less than 250 flocks in all of Sweden. These were imported by Greenfire Farms, which is where I got them as day old chicks. These guys (and girls), are great fliers and foragers. They lay lots of medium size brown eggs. They are very curious and will take meal worms out of your hand, but do not like to be cornered. If you let them, they will roost in the trees. I have not had any illness in them and they do not seem to get coccidia easily. DH says "TOO MANY BREEDS" and I need somewhere to lock some unruly Marans up! PM me for information.

I have Rhode Island Red fertile hatching eggs for sale in Clarksville TN. Big, Healthy and Antibiotic free! Reds are all I breed so I guarantee mine. These are the production strain. Pm me with intrest or questions

Last edited:
You might want to aim for older considering how difficult it is to sex Silkies until they're closer to POL... :)

I'm totally open to that but I just heard it's harder integrating into my current flock of 7 the older they are. I did that last Summer and hated seeing my new girls picked on because they were the same age/size as my current girls. They're fine now though! I read that younger chicks are easier because the older girls don't see them as much as "competition"

Last edited:
I'm totally open to that but I just heard it's harder integrating into my current flock of 7 the older they are. I did that last Summer and hated seeing my new girls picked on because they were the same age/size as my current girls. They're fine now though! I read that younger chicks are easier because the older girls don't see them as much as "competition"

True... some do better with younger ones, but some also don't... some will pick on the younger ones just as much... best to set them up a little escape hidey hole...

Was just letting you know it's hard to guarantee sex at that age with Silkies... might want to get a few, straight run and then remove any boys later or sell off extra pullets...

What color are you looking for? Any preferences?

Last edited:
True... some do better with younger ones, but some also don't... some will pick on the younger ones just as much... best to set them up a little escape hidey hole...

Was just letting you know it's hard to guarantee sex at that age with Silkies... might want to get a few, straight run and then remove any boys later or sell off extra pullets...

What color are you looking for? Any preferences?

No preference on color really! And yes I would definitely set up and escape area like I did for the last ones. Although, I found I made more progress just leting them tough it out without separation. I'm just afraid I wouldn't find anyone to take a male.

No preference on color really! And yes I would definitely set up and escape area like I did for the last ones. Although, I found I made more progress just leting them tough it out without separation. I'm just afraid I wouldn't find anyone to take a male.

Well, I've got a whole flock of Blues, Blacks and Splashes... as soon as they start laying well I'll be setting eggs... feel free to PM me later on, can probably help you out if you'd like... :)

Back
Top Bottom