The Middle Tennessee Thread

Has anyone ever bred any Barnevelders around here? I want to learn more about them, but I'm finding a lot of conflicting information online. I will probably add some more color to my mixed flock in the summer and was interested in learning more about this breed.

I found on the breed section of the thread on here that says they can be docile but also very flighty. I've subscribed to the thread as well and it's mostly coloring talk which is understandable.

I always wanted to add a darker egg layer, but I'm not interested in Welsummers, and I think Marans would be too aggressive for my flock in winter when my Ameraucanas are running with the group. Anyone have any personal anecdotes or experience with the breed?

I'm not sure on prices or what she might have available... might be hatching eggs? She's got chocolate, mauve, blue, black, and more *I think*... search for minihorse927 and send her a PM asking what she might have... if she has what you want, maybe she can bring that when I meet up with her and can get them to you too???

Couldn't hurt to talk to her... :)

I sent her a pm! She has two birds I want... feel free to write me and we can figure something out!

Has anyone ever bred any Barnevelders around here? I want to learn more about them, but I'm finding a lot of conflicting information online. I will probably add some more color to my mixed flock in the summer and was interested in learning more about this breed.

I found on the breed section of the thread on here that says they can be docile but also very flighty. I've subscribed to the thread as well and it's mostly coloring talk which is understandable.

I always wanted to add a darker egg layer, but I'm not interested in Welsummers, and I think Marans would be too aggressive for my flock in winter when my Ameraucanas are running with the group. Anyone have any personal anecdotes or experience with the breed?
I had them. They were very calm birds not flighty at all. Too big to be flighty. Eggs are not that dark.... just kind of a darker brown. Marans are not aggressive, not sure where that came from. I run all my birds together when they are growing out and I don't have any issues with aggression from any breed. I have been breeding Marans for 5+ years and have never seen any aggression. There is always a pecking order when introducing new birds. The only aggressive birds I have ever had were Red birds like RIR or NH... not sure why but they seemed to be want to pick on all the other birds. Since I got rid of them I don't have feather picking much at all.

By the way when I say I run all my breed together that includes Ameraucanas, EE, Leghorns of all kinds of colors, Marans several colors, CCL, Rocks, silkies and some crosses of the above.

I have Barnies. I like them. Good layers, eggs not as dark as Marans but a nice color. A few of them lay a slightly speckled egg. Calm & layed back. I have Speckled Sussex and Australorps & they all get along.

I had them.  They were very calm birds not flighty at all.  Too big to be flighty.  Eggs are not that dark.... just kind of a darker brown.  Marans are not aggressive, not sure where that came from.  I run all my birds together when they are growing out and I don't have any issues with aggression from any breed.  I have been breeding Marans for 5+ years and have never seen any aggression.  There is always a pecking order when introducing new birds.  The only aggressive birds I have ever had were Red birds like RIR or NH... not sure why but they seemed to be want to pick on all the other birds.  Since I got rid of them I don't have feather picking much at all.

By the way when I say I run all my breed together that includes Ameraucanas, EE, Leghorns of all kinds of colors, Marans several colors, CCL, Rocks, silkies and some crosses of the above.

Thanks for the info! I have always heard Marans were more assertive with less dominant birds, but I am by no means familiar with the breed, so it could be just what I've heard from my couple of friends who've had them.

I have Barnies. I like them. Good layers, eggs not as dark as Marans but a nice color. A few of them lay a slightly speckled egg. Calm & layed back. I have Speckled Sussex and Australorps & they all get along.

Thanks for the info, I love Australorps and always admired the Speckles Sussex too! What a great flock mixture!

I am starting a breeding program in the spring.  I am looking for a collection basket to help keep things straight.  I was thinking that a cleaning caddy would be just the thing, but they seem expensive and aren't equally divided.  What do you guys do?  Do you just write on them as you collect them and then put them all in one basket?  I have plenty of plastic coated wire gathering baskets, just none that are divided.

Thank you!

I collect each pen separately and just bring them in and put them in the plastic egg trays... keeps them completely separated by rows for pens and dates, easy... btw, you can just cut some hardware cloth and make dividers in your baskets yourself... :D

I had Barnies, but didn't care for them... pretty though...

I do have a couple BCM's I've gotta sell... they've lived with my Am's their whole lives... really dark eggs too... they're a bit pushy, but not bullies for sure... more of up in your business than the Am's, lol... if you want a couple, just holler, girl...

I had Barnies, but didn't care for them... pretty though...

I do have a couple BCM's I've gotta sell... they've lived with my Am's their whole lives... really dark eggs too... they're a bit pushy, but not bullies for sure... more of up in your business than the Am's, lol... if you want a couple, just holler, girl...

I didn't know you had Barnevelders! Were they just too quiet or didn't have personality? I'd be nervous to get Marans although I bet yours are pretty. I'd just worry about my Orpington too she is so passive. If I change my mind I will let you know. It's good to know we have a few Marans fans around here. They are pretty and lay gorgeous eggs.

Back
Top Bottom