The Middle Tennessee Thread

Quote:
Four that I know of and 3 are out!!!!!! I have a pic of the first one but since I left 2 hrs ago 2 more have popped out!!!!! These that are hatching now at day 19 are from my neighbor so they are either NH or NH x yokahoma we will see! They were outside for days and that is probably why they are hatching so early. I have 5 Blue/Black Barred Rocks, lots of EE, Olive Eggers and Production Red types. TWO Lav Splits and uhmmmm... I don't know what else.

I have a question should I removed these that are hatching so early? My humidity stays up pretty good if you open it so I don't think that will be an issue if I put some water in at the same time. I could even run a vaporizer when I get them out to keep the humidity up. Would it even matter if none of the other eggs have pipped?

Ok.... That's it! I'm about to start laying out my big bator! You've given me the bug. I've enjoyed hatching 4 and 8, but putting multiples of 10 in lockdown just sounds so much more fun.

Quote:
Four that I know of and 3 are out!!!!!! I have a pic of the first one but since I left 2 hrs ago 2 more have popped out!!!!! These that are hatching now at day 19 are from my neighbor so they are either NH or NH x yokahoma we will see! They were outside for days and that is probably why they are hatching so early. I have 5 Blue/Black Barred Rocks, lots of EE, Olive Eggers and Production Red types. TWO Lav Splits and uhmmmm... I don't know what else.

I have a question should I removed these that are hatching so early? My humidity stays up pretty good if you open it so I don't think that will be an issue if I put some water in at the same time. I could even run a vaporizer when I get them out to keep the humidity up. Would it even matter if none of the other eggs have pipped?

Ok.... That's it! I'm about to start laying out my big bator! You've given me the bug. I've enjoyed hatching 4 and 8, but putting multiples of 10 in lockdown just sounds so much more fun.

10.... I put 31 in lockdown!!!!! I also have 14 more I added to the bator when I candled this batch at 14 days!! I am still trying to get the LF Leghorns and then I may take a break till I get the breeding pens done. If I am going to do this I might as well get breeds I could sell, if I want
hide.gif

Mattlock, it's his "robot voice". Just put it simple like that.

How do you explain an IV pole to a five year old? I told my son it was a robot that kept track of how much water he got through the IV and yes, it had to go to the bathroom with him. When he asked specific questions, I answered them as best I could. Where is the robot's brain? I pointed at the box with the moving numbers that was monitoring the IV flow. The robot had wheels. It was OK to touch the pole. Literally it went on all night.

Can you look up information (Internet or library book) about how the voice box works? I mean human and machine. Explain how it lets people with health conditions like Grandfather continue to talk and not have to write everything down.

And don't forget to tell the doctors to give that man the Happy Drugs! I do hope and pray he can have an easy passing when it is his time.

Quote:
Having a matter of fact attitude has always seemed to work best with kids. "The doctors had to fix Papaw's throat, and he needs a special machine to help him talk. It may sound a little strange but it's still Papaw, and we want to pay attention to the words he's saying and not worry about how his voice sounds." Kids will generally be very interested in how everything works. So talking about the science/technology behind the "electronic voice" might be something that will help them see how "cool" it is. Good luck - and prayers for Papaw.

Quote:
I take mine out at the 24 hour mark even if the others haven't hatched yet. Truthfully, most of them that are coming out have come out by then. Just do it fast and you will be fine. I've been pulling chicks out of this staggered hatch for days now and it hasn't really affected the others. They will be fine until the 24 hour old mark though.

Congrats on the new babies!

Countrypunk ,how are the new cochins doing? You need to post pics so everyone can see them! They sure are nice! I was thinking about things today and would like to suggest that you turn your silkie pen around and face it in the opposite direction! That way it will block the cold north and west winds and will let the silkies have the morning sun to warm them up from colod nights. I always try and face my pens to the east. In winter I will wrap mine with plastic on the other three sides. So you may want to make sure all the other pens are the same. Just an old chicken man thinking!lol. I really like my new Phoniex! Thney appear about two-three years or but are really nice quality. Will share chicks and eggs next spring with ya!

Anybody need a lavender orpington, coronation Sussex or Silver Sussex Rooster? I have extras I would like to sell:)or trade

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Having a matter of fact attitude has always seemed to work best with kids. "The doctors had to fix Papaw's throat, and he needs a special machine to help him talk. It may sound a little strange but it's still Papaw, and we want to pay attention to the words he's saying and not worry about how his voice sounds." Kids will generally be very interested in how everything works. So talking about the science/technology behind the "electronic voice" might be something that will help them see how "cool" it is. Good luck - and prayers for Papaw.

think I'll go with Carol... Thanks Ya'll!
wink.png

Yea I just moved it there. I am working on winterizing it. I forgot to turn it around when I pulled it there. I tgibk my roo is about 2 years or so, hen might be going into molt. I think im going to build a seperate pen for the blacks because my barred roo doesnt approve, lol. Yea the pheonix are gorgous!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom