The Middle Tennessee Thread

Tisha, I don't have any suggestions for your coops/runs - but I think you're smart to raise the sleeping boxes a couple feet off the ground. That will give them the area underneath to get out of the sun or rain - and gives you extra square footage for the run. The framing looks great. My first coop is similar - in that the coop part is above part of the run.

I am a soon-to-be chicken newbie here in Middle Tennessee (chicks coming in on Tuesday/Wednesday...and we've only lived in Middle Tennessee for a couple years), and I was wondering: with the crazy warm weather we had this winter (and are STILL having), will we have issues with mites/lice this year? The reason I ask is, even with Frontline I have been combating ticks on the dog this winter...and the horses are already getting eaten-up by flies. I'm just wondering if I should pre-emptively dust the coop/turn-out area before the chicks leave the brooder...to head off any issues at the pass? I specifically ordered chicks for this time of year so that it wouldn't be TOO cold, but the insects/noseeums/pathogens would still be limited...so much for THAT theory this year...
hmm.png

I am a soon-to-be chicken newbie here in Middle Tennessee (chicks coming in on Tuesday/Wednesday...and we've only lived in Middle Tennessee for a couple years), and I was wondering: with the crazy warm weather we had this winter (and are STILL having), will we have issues with mites/lice this year? The reason I ask is, even with Frontline I have been combating ticks on the dog this winter...and the horses are already getting eaten-up by flies. I'm just wondering if I should pre-emptively dust the coop/turn-out area before the chicks leave the brooder...to head off any issues at the pass? I specifically ordered chicks for this time of year so that it wouldn't be TOO cold, but the insects/noseeums/pathogens would still be limited...so much for THAT theory this year...
hmm.png

welcome-byc.gif
... sorry I don't have an answer for you. Was anything in the coop/run before that would draw pests? It can't hurt... DE would be a good idea. I would not use anything more powerful with chicks going into it soon.

Carol.... I was just reading about making some Hampbars.... Funny! I don't need anymore breeds.

I just hatched 36 chicks today and 2 more had pipped maybe more tomorrow. ALL of my Marans pipped, 1 zipped and died, 1 is still pipped, but all the rest are out and doing well! I can't believe that! Some will be going on CL tonight 11 to be exact, some blue most black. I have 2 Lav Spits and 1 NH, and 3 RIR to put on CL.

I also have some FREE little roos, 2 are Leghorn Am Crosses about a month old, and 1 EE and 1 Something else don't remember about 2 weeks old and 4 BSL roos from today I also have 1maybe 2 Leghorn Cross that is 2 months old with a pea comb.

Holly... you still want that little Blue Copper Marans Roo? I need to clean out my brooders. I have way over 100 chicks and next week more are hatching and then I just set 220 more eggs this week and more coming.... I have to stop... Most of the ones I am setting now will be for sale. I have to call the guy to process my roos... they just have to go. I can put a ton of chicks in those pens.
wink.png

WOW... already sold the Marans.... hum... need to hatch more.... OH Wait I have 60 more eggs, ok I am sure I have more than that, in the bator to hatch soon. She wants my free roos too
bow.gif
hugs.gif

Hi, New to BYC.. I have my first chicks ordered and should be here last week in April. I live outside of Lewisburg, TN. Looking forward to chatting with you all
big_smile.png

Thanks to CarolJ for steering me here to the Middle TN Thread
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to the Middle TN thrread, Moore Chickens! This is a great group of people.

Donna - never heard of Hampbars. Sounds interesting. I'll have to look it up and see who's working on them.

Texokie 1 - I have been wondering the same thing about ticks/lice/insects after our unusually mild winter. Just being in the yard today, I noticed an awful lots of gnats and mosquitoes.

Welcome to the Middle TN thrread, Moore Chickens! This is a great group of people.

Donna - never heard of Hampbars. Sounds interesting. I'll have to look it up and see who's working on them.

Texokie 1 - I have been wondering the same thing about ticks/lice/insects after our unusually mild winter. Just being in the yard today, I noticed an awful lots of gnats and mosquitoes.

We have already had ticks
th.gif
it is going to be bad... maybe the bachelor pen will have to be a free range rooster free for all
lau.gif
just to eat the bugs.....

Back
Top Bottom