The Middle Tennessee Thread

M
If you only get 1 or 2 to hatch let me know.  They need some buddies to keep warm.... really they do.  Not just saying that.  I check the eggs I set today and MOST were clear but a few are developing I think.  I need new batteries in my flashlight.... 400 lumens is not what it once was. :rolleyes:
My daughters physical therapist has some due to hatch under a broody hen the day or day after mine should hatch out. If there are only 2 or 3 that hatch then we'll slide them under her hen. She's a BR and a great brooder, accepts any thrown in the batch as long as they're within a few days age of each other.

I planted some roses, azaleas, and bulbs that I had dug from our old home before moving that HAD to get in the ground, and there were worms everywhere. So I filled an ice cream bucket with fresh dirt and threw all the worms I came across in there. Sat it in my brooder and they LOVE me!

Anybody want this 19-week old cream legbar rooster? I'm putting him on Craigslist later tonight - along with the EE rooster and "Elvis." We let the chickens out tonight and watched them for a couple hours, and these three chased each other and the hens the entire time. They fought over hens and generally raised a ruckus. No peace in the layer flock with these hormone-driven guys around. Time for them to go.

Oh, and I am wondering where the picture is of the PINK sink?

I will tomorrow.... it is not much. Just a pink sink on a white counter top and 1 leg
lol.png
The rest is on a ledge on the wall. It is not NEON pink just light pink.

All right, busy day today. Even though I had lots of "help" from the kiddos, still managed to get the coop secured to the sled for easy moving and a brick foundation to deter digging predators. The foundation doesn't look like much but there are three runs of bricks underground sitting atop an old hard packed gravel driveway that is buried about 8" down (figured that is as good as any hardware cloth). Anything that makes it through apparently loves chicken more than I love digging.

And of course the ladies are all prospering in their new double wide brooder. They did shoot me a dirty look when I was in there. I think they somehow knew I had fried chicken for dinner. I am such a bad parent.

So here are my questions for you seasoned backyarders out there.
  1. Do we need to add anything to the floor of the run like sand or DE or shavings or is dirt just fine?
  2. When should we go outside with the oldest 3 (6 weeks) and stay or start making short trips and returning inside at night? I don't want to chill them since we usually get some freezing into mid April around here and the others will need a few more weeks inside.
  3. When do you guys allow them to have anything besides starter? I gave one of the bigger birds the soft part of a piece of popcorn and you would have thought I gave my 5 year old a shot of bourbon, lol.

Last edited:
I would wait till they are FULLY Feathered and the weather was in the 40's regularly at night before I took them out that young. Unless you have heat in the coop. Mine stay on starter till they are laying now. It is just higher protein and will not hurt a thing. Some people feed started to ALL their birds and offer calcium on the side. They have pullet grower you can buy and ALL Flock. I feed started for 6 weeks at the LEAST!

The run, I would put something in it. I like my creek gravel. Never gets muddy and the chickens can still dust bathe in it. Not the HUGE rocks, just gravel size. Some use sand, I have not tried that. I would NOT use shavings... they are a mess when wet. The looser the ground the more the chickens will keep it turned. Add some ashes (you can get them from Whitt's if you don't have a fireplace) DE and lime as you are adding the gravel or whatever you pick. I would add some hydrated lime and DE regularly. I would not have just dirt.... very very muddy and we are wetter than you think here. Mud means MUDDY EGGS
sickbyc.gif

I was just going to post if anyone is looking for an easter rabbit please let me know. We have several breeds avaible. We have lion heads, mini rex, netherland dwarf, mini lop, jersey wooley, and holland lop. These are pure breeds from great stock. Would make a great pet for a child. If any one is interested please pm me.

Thanks

I wanted to let every one know that the fancy feather chicken show in cookeville tn will be April 6th saturday at the Cookeville fair ground. Deadline to enter is March 30th for more information about entering please email david rose at [email protected]

If showing is not your thing. This would be a good place to go and sale birds and fine birds. If you want to sale. Outside sales is just $5.00 free if you are showing in the show.

Please email David Rose email above for more information.

Ashes are good for helping the chickens control mites.
I wasn't sure! I have ashes already in one end of our run (was originally fire pit) and we cleaned it up to where you can barely tell ashes were there. I have a wood stove and fire place, so can easily get them :)
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom