The Middle Tennessee Thread

Quote:
I do sometimes.... NEVER the dark egg layers.... Must keep them for egg color improvement. I am going to do some serious culling in my breeding pen in the next few months. They will be laying.

When I get some time I will sort through my pens.... I need to make more Barrel Pens so I can put ALL the pullets in one barrel and KNOW who is laying what color eggs. BUT chicken money is tight right now but soon I can go get more barrels.

I do sometimes.... NEVER the dark egg layers.... Must keep them for egg color improvement. I am going to do some serious culling in my breeding pen in the next few months. They will be laying.

When I get some time I will sort through my pens.... I need to make more Barrel Pens so I can put ALL the pullets in one barrel and KNOW who is laying what color eggs. BUT chicken money is tight right now but soon I can go get more barrels.
Barrel pens????

That's a pretty neat idea. If you decide to sell some, I think a friend of mine is looking at getting some BCMS at some point.
For the barrels, have you tried seeing if a farm, machine shop, or any place that deals with bulk oil will give you any? We used to get them from a farmer when I loved in Alabama and used them for dog houses at the kennel.

That's a pretty neat idea. If you decide to sell some, I think a friend of mine is looking at getting some BCMS at some point.
For the barrels, have you tried seeing if a farm, machine shop, or any place that deals with bulk oil will give you any? We used to get them from a farmer when I loved in Alabama and used them for dog houses at the kennel.

These are Food Grade.... I feel better with them. We actually had SEVERAL show up after the flood, but most are filled with oil or grease. Hubby said I could have them, but I don't really think I want to use them for chickens..... just creeps me out a little too much.

Hi. I just moved to Savannah, TN from Denver 2 weeks ago. Was happy to find a thread for middle TN. I have been looking for some ameraucana chicks locally, I'd prefer not to have to ship from a hatchery. Could anyone point me towards someone with chicks, possibly close to us here in Savannah :)

Brittany

Hi. I just moved to Savannah, TN from Denver 2 weeks ago. Was happy to find a thread for middle TN. I have been looking for some ameraucana chicks locally, I'd prefer not to have to ship from a hatchery. Could anyone point me towards someone with chicks, possibly close to us here in Savannah :) 

Brittany 

Welcome to BYC!

You'll quickly learn here that Ameraucanas are only sold by breeders but Easter eggers are available lots of places. Hatcheries commonly misrepresent their EE chicks as Ameraucanas -- they don't meet the breed standards. So, the first question for me always is, are you wanting birds you can show and breed or just some pretty eggs in your basket?

Brittany 
Try Poultry House. They're in Franklin Tn, but he might could meet you somewhere closer when he is making a large delivery to someone else. You might have to drive 40-60 miles to pick them up, but he has What you are looking for.
Phone 615-574-1250 or email [email protected]. He can email you a flyer of different breeds he carries.
He sells locally on Saturdays. I showed up last Saturday morning to get some chicks and was the only one who hadn't pre-ordered. He was super-nice. I got ten different breeds from him.
Good luck and Welcome to Tennessee!

Back
Top Bottom