The Middle Tennessee Thread

I think you will have a lot of people answer this!! We all have too many roos. I have a couple that age and I live in Carthage. You should also clip wings if they are flying into the dogs pen that will keep them more grounded.

I live in Murfreesboro, Tn and I am new to keeping chickens. We started this year with 12 and have dwindled down due to our dog to only 6. They dang chickens keep flying in his pen and then of course he eats them! I have 3 white leghorns and 3 red sex links. They are all 5 mos. old. My leghorns are great layers, but my RSL's have not yet started to lay. I wanted chickens just to lay eggs, I do not want to breed or sell. I have 5 kids, believe me I need the eggs lol. Anyway, my girls cannot stay out of trouble, so I am thinking of adding a roo, just for protection and to kinda keep them all together. They are free- range and tend to go in the neighbors yard, the woods, ect. Anyone have a roo they would like to give away that is less than 5 mos. old? Preferably a nice one...
I have {2} 4 month old double blue gene Easter Eggers. AKA blue egg gene carrier. I have (1) Olive egger who is 4 months too. I'm 30 miles east of Chattanooga. If you are coming this way they can be yours. Then I have 3 and 2 month old Olive Eggers and random Easter Eggers.

If your dog is in a fence kennel you can buy bird netting and pull it across the top. We have a 10'x20' that we bought 1 pack black bird netting. The kind you put over cherry trees. About $15 at home depot. We pulled it tight across the top and hooked the net over the fence. We use ours for a grow out pen and that keeps the hungry hawk out of there. It would keep your chickens from jumpping over too.

I live in Murfreesboro, Tn and I am new to keeping chickens. We started this year with 12 and have dwindled down due to our dog to only 6. They dang chickens keep flying in his pen and then of course he eats them! I have 3 white leghorns and 3 red sex links. They are all 5 mos. old. My leghorns are great layers, but my RSL's have not yet started to lay. I wanted chickens just to lay eggs, I do not want to breed or sell. I have 5 kids, believe me I need the eggs lol. Anyway, my girls cannot stay out of trouble, so I am thinking of adding a roo, just for protection and to kinda keep them all together. They are free- range and tend to go in the neighbors yard, the woods, ect. Anyone have a roo they would like to give away that is less than 5 mos. old? Preferably a nice one...
A rooster would not stop them from venturing out..in fact he may even take them further if her feels save enough.

I thank you for your offer, but I never leave the boro lol. I am really bad with directions, so I stay close to where I know. Yes, my dog is in a fenced kennel and I have really been thinking of covering it with something to keep them out. I hope to find a roo soon though to keep my girls together. I don't mind them venturing, but its better if they are all together and I read that roosters will keep them together. At any given time I will have 2 off in the woods, 1 in the neighbor's yard, 1 across the road, and 2 in the backyard. They are just everywhere lol.

I don't mind them wandering, I just wish they would all wander together lol. They are just everywhere and never stay together. I read that adding a rooster would help keep them all together.

Mine are still a bit young but I suspect 3-4 of my 6 10wk old RIRs are roos. You are welcome to all but one of them! I'm in Bethpage and in school but could come down at some point. You may have to wait a bit til I find out which are which. Esp since I am very new to this and not sure what is what yet.

I have a 10-12 week old Olive Egger Rooster looking for a good home, he's very protective of my girls, I just didn't know until this past weekend that he was a rooster.....he's free and I live in Franklin

I have a small herd of 11 week old boys that I was getting ready to take to my rooster guy. You are welcome to one (or two!) if you like. They are either easter eggers or ameraucanas (blue and splash). The easter egger boys are welsummer roo over ameraucana hen. Two are black with gold "necklaces" and one is blue with a gold "necklace". Their daddies are good roosters (good to their girls and not aggressive to me). I would assume these guys to be as well.

I live about 15 minutes from the Cason Lane area of Murfreesoro. Happy to give you one of these guys so they don't turn into dinner!

Anybody interested in 3 gambel quail chicks? These are the ones that have the little dewdrop type feather over the front of their heads. Cute and fun to hatch but not needing to keep them. They have been in with some chicks that are very mellow so these are really hand tame for quail. $20? Over 4 wks old

A few pics today from the Bethpage newbie! One is of some beautiful butterflies (one of many) and the others of our 9 wk old (finally figured out the age) chickens - six of them. Can't tell roos from hens yet..

Back
Top Bottom