The Middle Tennessee Thread

Their EE's are great layers and pretty birds, but mine have no muffs and one lays a pink egg and the other green. So don't count on blues from them. But very healthy and pretty markings.

I had a roo from them when I first got chickens. He made my first SBEL and they laid pretty blue eggs from him. I am not going to keep them. I get lots of people asking for blue egg layers and I just SOLD ALL I HAVE last friday. Thinking I need a few to grow out to sell in a few months.

I picked up Americaunas, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds, and Cuckoo Marans from the Poultry House at Bonnie's Barnyard Saturday. One of my Marans died before I got her home and I've called a couple times this weekend but haven't heard back. I'm hoping I can go up next Saturday and get a replacement chick. All the rest are doing well and are currently residing in my bathtub
smile.png
I got 2 pullets from Poultry House last year…both great looking when I got them. One died of Mareks, even though she was supposed to have been vaccinated….but in fairness I understand the vaccine doesn't always work, I was lucky it didn't spread to the other girls. The other pullet I got from them is beautiful and lays great.

Are they having other weekends at Bonnie's…..do they just bring chicks? I'm getting 2 other pullets as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer and I'd love another SLW to replace the one that died and I could put it with the other 2 for a couple of weeks before bringing them in to the rest of the girls.

Hi!
1f603.png

My children and I just built our first chicken pen/coop. Its so exciting. We hv 4 chickens and a rooster. 3 of the chickens and the rooster we actually incubated and hatches last year. My mother in law has had them. My 4 year old wanted to bring them home. We took her old play house and turned it into the coop. Its too cute. We live east of Portland TN. We hv 1 hen setting with 2
Eggs. So exciting. Wish us luck!!!

Quote:
When I talked to him a couple of months ago he had sold ALL his started birds he was going to sell. We talked about how he did birds and eggs..... he is similar to what I do. He hatches out in the spring.... keeps some for his pens and grows some out to sell as started birds. Then he sells his breeders in the fall while they are still young. You can always ask but if he has some they are probably no older than what you are going to get from me.

Ooookay, question. We're still sorta new to the chicken thing. Not terribly, but enough I've never run across this. I have 2 cuckoo Marans. I get 2 dark eggs a day. Now one is growing spurs, and it's the one that was the attacked recently. Wtc? He/she looks no different than the other- at all! Well, except for the newly growing spurs. They will be a year old in April.

Last edited:
Ooookay, question. We're still sorta new to the chicken thing. Not terribly, but enough I've never run across this. I have 2 cuckoo Marans. I get 2 dark eggs a day. Now one is growing spurs, and it's the one that was the attacked recently. Wtc? He/she looks no different than the other- at all! Well, except for the newly growing spurs. They will be a year old in April.

My Welsummer hen had huge spurs. They were at least an 1" long.
It happens sometimes...like bearded hen turkeys
smile.png
If it's laying an egg it's def a hen/pullet.
Check out the spur just visible above the grass on her left leg...

Anyone know of a business in the Murfreesboro area willing to give away a few used wooden pallets? I don't know where people get their pallets. I can't find a single place so far that doesn't ship the pallets back to the warehouse.

Back
Top Bottom