The Middle Tennessee Thread

A smidge of vinegar in the water should keep the mold from forming. I have been using it in my bator and it seems to keep bacterial growth from spreading egg to egg. Had zero stinkers from any of the eggs that didn't hatch last time.

What kind of vinegar and what is a smidge? Teaspoon? We start our school hatching project tomorrow.

What kind of vinegar and what is a smidge? Teaspoon? We start our school hatching project tomorrow.

A smidge of vinegar in the water should keep the mold from forming. I have been using it in my bator and it seems to keep bacterial growth from spreading egg to egg. Had zero stinkers from any of the eggs that didn't hatch last time.

I have a small folded paper towel in there moistened to add humidity. I took it out today. Humidity was up to 71%! When humidity gets back down below 50%, I plan to put a less moist paper towel in there with a 50/50 water vinegar mix. Is that too much of a smidge?

It's Tax Day Hatch-a-long!

Our little silkie went broody on us so we stuck some Dominique eggs under her (souvenirs from our spring break). She has made it 8 days so far. Hopefully she will make it through to April 15th when they are due to hatch.

Hey did you guys see this article today...pretty interesting for those that are trying to persuade a gal to go broody.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ken-broodiness-by-up-to-48-with-aluminum-foil

I went on vacation last summer and my neighbor didn't pick-up eggs on the last full day I was gone, then I didn't get home til the evening so I came home to 2 broodies in 1 nest box on 6 eggs. Probably just as effective to leave a nice clutch of decoy eggs in a nest box...hey, if you add foil overhead it could be a double whammy :)

Yeaaaah finally convinced the hubby to get SLW.
love.gif
love.gif

Dang.... I think my trio is sold and to be shipped to CA soon.

I had to run by TSC on Monday to pick up a waterer and a feeder. I accidentally bought 4 golden sebright and 2 mille fleur d'uccle chicks.
gig.gif
I mean, they were so lonely in that bin so I just had to take them home. Easy to sneak in with the other boxes of LF I picked up earlier. I wonder if he will notice once they are big?

Hey did you guys see this article today...pretty interesting for those that are trying to persuade a gal to go broody.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ken-broodiness-by-up-to-48-with-aluminum-foil

I went on vacation last summer and my neighbor didn't pick-up eggs on the last full day I was gone, then I didn't get home til the evening so I came home to 2 broodies in 1 nest box on 6 eggs. Probably just as effective to leave a nice clutch of decoy eggs in a nest box...hey, if you add foil overhead it could be a double whammy :)

You know that was an April Fools joke RIGHT???????

You know that was an April Fools joke RIGHT???????
Ummmm....of course....I knew it was an April Fools Joke...
th.gif

Dangit! I had been doing good all day long and then once at home and I relax, BYC gets me! No wonder it didn't make much sense LOL
Kudos to this guy...he really kept it going from the few posts that I read :) For the record, I don't pull pranks for April Fools...it's probably why I fall for them sometimes.
Oh well, I like me fine
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom