The Middle Tennessee Thread

Had to go get feed today and on the way got to see the excitement of the tanker truck that blew up.  I could see it about 5 miles from the farm all the way over.  HUGE cloud of black smoke.  Fire trucks were still coming down the hwy when we got there.  Glad nobody was hurt.

Got our feed and headed back on I440 the wrapping started coming off, we hoped we would make it but by the time we got to I40 the wrap was OFF and we were afraid we would loose feed if we didn't do something.  Hubby is not supposed to lift ANYTHING! We had to move about 7 bags to the pickup bed from the trailer.  It was uneventful after that.  Thank goodness.  I think I will put a roll of packing tape in the truck..... this happens too much.

Look at Office depot and buy a roll of Stretch wrap it should be easier than the tape..

That is what they use but it comes off as we are going down the road. The tape might help keep it down enough to keep the wind from ripping it to shreds.

Hello Middle Tennessee!
I am going to be selling 80% or better of my flock. My work has changed quite a lot and I am just not home enough to take care of them and enjoy them the way I like so they need better homes than I can give them.
I have no hatchery stock all are from breeder stock or produced by my breeders. $25.00 a hen/pullet (all pullets are close to POL) , Roosters can be had for free with purchase of at least 2 hens. Your pick and choice.
I have:
Black Copper Marans
Blue Copper Marans
White Marans
Birchen Marans
Crested Cream Legbars
Mille Fluer Leghorns
I have some misc. pullets that will be less:
mixed color Polish (mostly black) and pullets that will make layers but not breeders ie. no leg feathers.
Shoot me a PM if interested first come first pick!

What is the latest I could have new chicks and still put them outside before winter hits? I have had the worst luck with getting cockerels around here. I'm still trying to build up breeding stock. I would really like to have pullets old enough to breed next year, but not at this rate. Between having to sell off cockerels down to the best and relegating several pullets to the egg layer pen, I'm going to need some new babies around here.
Boy…are you on the right thread….hang on for all the replies you are going to get!!

What is the latest I could have new chicks and still put them outside before winter hits? I have had the worst luck with getting cockerels around here. I'm still trying to build up breeding stock. I would really like to have pullets old enough to breed next year, but not at this rate. Between having to sell off cockerels down to the best and relegating several pullets to the egg layer pen, I'm going to need some new babies around here.
Cinny, thanks for bumping tnmommy! I got busy and forgot to go back and respond. :)

Fall hatching is a tricky gamble. I do a late hatch every year sometime in October and then move them outside at between 3 and 4 weeks, depending on the weather. Most years this is fine. One year I had mostly grown chicks in my dining room until January. That year was a smidge stinky. Usually they are fine though and they then are at POL in early spring when I either want to sell them or add them to my laying flock.
I do add them into my silkie flock though, so that is a warmth factor. Silkies will accept pretty much anything and the babies learn early on to snuggle up under my hens. It's sweet. :)

Hello Middle Tennessee!
I am going to be selling 80% or better of my flock. My work has changed quite a lot and I am just not home enough to take care of them and enjoy them the way I like so they need better homes than I can give them.
I have no hatchery stock all are from breeder stock or produced by my breeders. $25.00 a hen/pullet (all pullets are close to POL) , Roosters can be had for free with purchase of at least 2 hens. Your pick and choice.
I have:
Black Copper Marans
Blue Copper Marans
White Marans
Birchen Marans
Crested Cream Legbars
Mille Fluer Leghorns
I have some misc. pullets that will be less:
mixed color Polish (mostly black) and pullets that will make layers but not breeders ie. no leg feathers.
Shoot me a PM if interested first come first pick!

wow, wish I lived closer, I'd take some of the marans for sure, my pullet to cock ratio this year was heavily skewed to roos, and I only ended up with one BCM pullet, out of 7 chicks, and one blue egg layer out of 6 SBEL chicks, and out of 8 blue coppers marans I hatched myself, only 3 ended up being pullets.

hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom