The Middle Tennessee Thread

I don't think ALL Tuckers is non GMO. They have non GMO available. Edwards has pullet grower and broiler starter those shouldn't have much if any calcium. I would think ALL feed would have some calcium....they probably need small amounts to keep bones strong. BUT I am no help with non GMO feed. I don't use it.

You are correct about Tuckers having a non-GMO option, but everything they make is not non-GMO. All I was trying to do was let rjohns39 know there are some other options, locally available in their new location in Smith Co, to get something close to what they had in VA. As for the free choice calcium VS calcium in the feed question, there are numerous references on the internet to the calcium needs of laying hens and roosters. Personally, I use non-added calcium feed, non- GMO products and free choice oyster shell. So glad we have choices!

Thanks! Now if I can be home for the testing, that is another story altogether
I had my flock tested in march/April 2015, the tester (a state vet) said as long as any hatched eggs or poultry ( bought or added) was NPIP tested we will not be due for 1 year, cost $25.00, with NPIP cert having any untested flock voids your NPIP. No feds at my testing, and Npip is suppose to be required on selling poultry and eggs( in and ) out of state. Tennessee is a salmonella free state, according to the state vet who did the testing.

Hey Mid TN folks! I'm happy to be here! I grew up with chickens and happy to be venturing back into keeping them. Can't wait to see pictures and see what everyone else is doing.
263a.png

Hey guys... I am selling almost ALL my chickens. Just holding on to a few. Message me if you want more information I have a PDF file with what is available.

Does anyone have any birds for sale yet or the best hatchery for these breeds? I'm mostly looking for Delawares, buff orp, or speckled sussex.

Sand Hill Preservation Center has all three. Their catalog doesn't have pictures but if you email them they can send you the pics. They have a sterling reputation for breeding high quality birds. They are preservationist not really a hatchery. They also have rare heritage seeds and sweet potato slips too.
http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/chickens.html

Sand Hill Preservation Center has all three. Their catalog doesn't have pictures but if you email them they can send you the pics. They have a sterling reputation for breeding high quality birds. They are preservationist not really a hatchery. They also have rare heritage seeds and sweet potato slips too.
http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/chickens.html

Thank You.. I have been trying to remember the name of that place for a few days...lol...The only question I have is do you have to mail in your payment to them or is there a quicker way?

I just talked to my NPIP guy tonight. He was real nice and even said he would come on Saturday if he needed to. He also said he brings "helpers" to do the swabs and blood draws. The additional AI testing at 6 months, is optional, but at no added cost. He said Texas requires AI testing within 30 days of shipping eggs into the state. He said some of the other states it is 180 days of testing to ship legally. I asked who the helpers are.  He told me they are feds.:barnie and that TN. and Alabama have hired federal people to go along for the testing. Occasionally, it is a federal vet, but more commonly a federal inspector. My birds are looking, and seem to be feeling, in top shape, but for some reason having federal inspectors here makes my stomach hurt. The federal inspector part is a new twist from what I gathered from him. As recently as August, the state guys came alone. They test 25% of the birds over 4 months old. I have an appointment, but this is scary!!! I asked about the repeated AI testing because I thought they would be dead if they have AI. Apparently there are 2 strains. The virulent strain, they die in hours. The other strain they can live with. He said in 2010 they found the other strain in Giles County, TN.  

Has anybody done this since the federal inspectors became part of the team?:idunno

Have you had your appointment yet? Please let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom