The Middle Tennessee Thread

Did you know that mud skiing is a real thing here in middle Tennessee? You trudge up he hill to feed and water the birds, then ski down the hill to the gate. Hoping and praying that you can stop before the gate. We are supposed to average 55" per year here... We're at 67.88 for the last twelve months. I just hope I can grow some grass for the girls when real spring hits.

I'm just over the state line in Allen County, KY. I too sink up to the ankles on the way to the coop. I never noticed, but right where the run door is, there is a small hollow. I now know it is 4 inches deep, you can measure the standing water lol. If I only liked ducks instead of chickens I'd be set.
I am waiting on a sunny day to go line out my new coop/greenhouse that we are building this spring. After all these years (30+) I'm going to have more than a make-do coop!
Has anyone gotten chicks from the outfit that delivers to Bonnie's Barnyard? If their prices are not outrageous, I can get my three breeds I want in one fell swoop. I'm looking for Black Australorp, Ameraucana and Welsummer. Any tips for finding them?

Well, all going well, we'll be moving somewhere within an hour's radius of Nashville before October (though just the Tennessee bits of the circle)--if not before October, then it won't be until spring, because driving with everything we don't get rid of from the Oregon/California/Pacific border to there is not something we even want to contemplate anywhere near winter :gig Is there any easy way to check on poultry ordinances online for places, or do I just need to keep plugging in county and city names into Google with the phrase "poultry laws" and hope for the best? (I now know that Clarksville allows 6 hens, all confined, and Murfreesboro allows 8 of anything (so I could have calls!) but that's as far as I've gotten.)

I've got good searches set up on Realtor.com and Zillow, and I'm part of a couple of FB real estate groups, so I've got some pretty good leads. That, and someone's OH keeps sending me links to listings in another FB group near to them, so as to have a nearby fudge source:gig

I have 4 varieties of garlic planted. Elephant garlic, spanish roja, Georgia fire, and kilarney red. I have about 1,500 bulbs planted in total. I would love to find a local way to sell them this summer but most likely will all be over the internet so the USPS will make lots of money.

Really? can't sell them at the farmers market? I would think that would sell well. I wouldn't mind getting some from you. I have not read up on those, I got some hardnecks and a hardneck from the store LOL. The reg garlic from the store never sprouted, must have been treated.

Well, all going well, we'll be moving somewhere within an hour's radius of Nashville before October (though just the Tennessee bits of the circle)--if not before October, then it won't be until spring, because driving with everything we don't get rid of from the Oregon/California/Pacific border to there is not something we even want to contemplate anywhere near winter :gig Is there any easy way to check on poultry ordinances online for places, or do I just need to keep plugging in county and city names into Google with the phrase "poultry laws" and hope for the best? (I now know that Clarksville allows 6 hens, all confined, and Murfreesboro allows 8 of anything (so I could have calls!) but that's as far as I've gotten.)

I've got good searches set up on Realtor.com and Zillow, and I'm part of a couple of FB real estate groups, so I've got some pretty good leads. That, and someone's OH keeps sending me links to listings in another FB group near to them, so as to have a nearby fudge source:gig

IDK what the rules are in Ashland City, but if it is zoned agricultural you can have all you want... even in Davidson Co. My farm is in Davidson and I am WELL over the limit but we are zoned AG. Funny there was a big fuss in FB on the County thread over some game birds on one of the main drags... that got shut down and removed before I could read all 300+ posts LOL. It was getting dirty... address were being posted. He has had them for as long as I have lived here (20+ years). Not sure why he has so many but my neighbors are probably saying the same thing about me HAHA!

Has anyone gotten chicks from the outfit that delivers to Bonnie's Barnyard? If their prices are not outrageous, I can get my three breeds I want in one fell swoop. I'm looking for Black Australorp, Ameraucana and Welsummer. Any tips for finding them?
I have gotten chicks there a few times. The chicks have been very healthy, without fail. They are hatchery quality for looks. The "Ameraucanas" are EEs but every single one has laid blue to green eggs. The Welsummers I got there 7 years back were both true to type and laid spectacular giraffe splotchy eggs but the two from last spring are meh for egg color and don't really look like Welsummers. Pity.

ETA: sexing has been accurate 23:24 for non-sexlinked chicks. Pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Really? can't sell them at the farmers market? I would think that would sell well. I wouldn't mind getting some from you. I have not read up on those, I got some hard-necks and a hard-neck from the store LOL. The reg garlic from the store never sprouted, must have been treated.

To be honest haven't tried at the local farmers market, it's quite small, like the size of a gas station. I looked into selling at the one in Nashville but seems there is a lot of paperwork involved, business license, insurance, etc...more than I am willing to tackle to sell a few vegetables. I may check out the local one and see what it takes to sell there but I just have my doubts about niche products in such a small venue. I could take some eggs as well, maybe I could earn back the price of setting up...lol.

Do you know what kind of hard-neck garlic? The 3 I listed are all hard-neck varieties, elephant garlic is not considered either hard-neck or soft-neck. Last year I had quite a bit of root rot due to the excessive moisture close to harvest time. I am hoping this year the weather cooperates more.

To be honest haven't tried at the local farmers market, it's quite small, like the size of a gas station. I looked into selling at the one in Nashville but seems there is a lot of paperwork involved, business license, insurance, etc...more than I am willing to tackle to sell a few vegetables. I may check out the local one and see what it takes to sell there but I just have my doubts about niche products in such a small venue. I could take some eggs as well, maybe I could earn back the price of setting up...lol.

Do you know what kind of hard-neck garlic? The 3 I listed are all hard-neck varieties, elephant garlic is not considered either hard-neck or soft-neck. Last year I had quite a bit of root rot due to the excessive moisture close to harvest time. I am hoping this year the weather cooperates more.

The Farmers Market here is quite small too and the paperwork I think is required by the state. Not required to have Ins but it is suggested. Where are you? There is a good size one in Donelson. Here is a link to the state stuff. https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/agriculture/documents/agadvancement/AgFarFMRules.pdf

This is what I got. I didn't expect them to work really but they seem to be fine. As long as I can keep the cat from sleeping on them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322792982054?ViewItem=&item=322792982054

:gig :oops:

It's not cuz of the fudge he wants you to move closer, actually... :p

Yep, you want agricultural zoned, try to avoid within city limits, especially since you want Calls... ;)

I had found a good map once, will see if I can dig it up again...

:gig :oops:

It's not cuz of the fudge he wants you to move closer, actually... :p

Yep, you want agricultural zoned, try to avoid within city limits, especially since you want Calls... ;)

I had found a good map once, will see if I can dig it up again...

Thanks!

Must be the puns that he sees on FB all the time, then... I'll have to break it to him that I can't come up with them, just appreciate them;)

The latest listing he messaged me (in Paris) led me to spend a bit of time looking at places in Henry county--and then I actually looked at the map later, and that's outside my search area:rolleyes:

So, ag zoned, gotcha:thumbsup How do I find the zoning, if it's not on the listing (usually not)?

Back
Top Bottom