The Middle Tennessee Thread

Hi There from Scotts Hill,
I'm a Wisconsin transplant. The proud owner of serama, phoenix, and Yokohama bantams, midget white and royal palm turkeys, a flock of homing pigeons, call ducks, and a passel of little dogs...Oh yeah...and a wife. We rather own each other.
Pretty exotic breeds! I have a husband but am owned by a German Shepherd and a Corgi. I caught a very large rat snake stealing an egg this afternoon when the rain stopped. He's hiding in the straw in the chicken house.

Hi!! I'm from Flat Creek. We got 18 chicks in the middle of March so we call them the Quarantine Flock. We got them all as "Pullet" labeled and have discovered there may be up to 4 roosters in the bunch. I'm really hoping my Silver Laced Wyandottes are just boyish looking hens. We also have Golden Comets, Barred Rocks, Leghorns, and Ameracauna. We got them because our old flock of 10 is getting up in years although some of them still lay occasionally. I'm very happy to have found this group because Tn is so geographically and agriculturally diverse. So "Hey, All "!
Welcome from Smith County

Pretty exotic breeds! I have a husband but am owned by a German Shepherd and a Corgi. I caught a very large rat snake stealing an egg this afternoon when the rain stopped. He's hiding in the straw in the chicken house.
I wish I could have caught the snake that was raiding our nests. No such luck. We bought snake repellent and it seems to be working.

Some of our Wigglebottoms.

heidi1.jpg
karlyshorty.jpg
sassy1.jpg
snik.jpg
lilly.jpg

Hi all, it was suggested that I post in here. I have a 12 week old Blue/Splash Laced Red Wyandotte. I was really hoping Betty was a girl, but it's looking (and today, sounding) like she is a he.
I HATE to have to re-home her/him. I hand-syringed medication to it as a baby - I'm already one of those who gets really attached - AND - I've already had to re-home two other roosters (who were supposedly an auto sex breed). But I am not zoned for roosters - I would seriously train this one to sleep indoors if I was allowed.
Needless to say, I want Betty to have the best life. Right now, they get cold corn or watermelon or honeydew nearly daily, and free-range during the day. I would really love to be able to visit occasionally - I know that sounds crazy - don't care.
My birds are the sweetest. They know their names, and will come running to greet you, even if you don't have treats.
IMG_2073.JPG

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone,

One of my free range hen turkeys has just started to lay again. I have never had a turkey lay in August and hatch in September. Anyone elses' turkeys laying eggs?

A crazy year! And in this awful heat; the turkeys just lay in the shade and pant. I do wonder if she'll lay the full clutch or if it's just a fluke she has laid the three eggs and will soon stop.
I've had them lay in December. The best I can say is that I've learned that turkeys are unpredictable. They lay when they get the urge.

Back
Top Bottom