The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

OH and to top that off.. my mandarins didn't lay at all.. the hen would get in a box. stay for a day and a half and leave it empty.... and my hottentots havent even acted like they care to breed..................

How long did you leave them domestics in with them?
Most of the breeding and stuff takes place when they feel secluded when your not anywhere around the pen. I can commonly here my pintails mating but have yet to catch the full act, most of what i see is the drake scurrying quickly away from on top of the hen when i get to the pen.

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't beat yourself up raising wild waterfowl is nothing like domestics, thats what makes it fun the challenges. You will have ups and downs every year no matter what. We have groups or Woodies that no matter what you do just refuse to eat. If you hatched 16 you are of to a good start. You said woodies are easy to raise this is not true in my opinion. They are easy to keep and breed rather easy but the young can be difficult at times. When did you lose the babies if it was in the first week I would suggest putting them in smaller groups like 6-8 ducklings with a couple of domestic chicks or call ducks. After about a 7-10 days remove the domestics. If they persist on jumping trying to get out you can try sprinkling a little hard boiled egg yolk on the feed and even a little on their backs this can sometimes get them interested in eating instead of jumping, but you will get some woodies that just keep jumping and will not eat no matter what. Just keep trying and be prepared for the downs but enjoy ups.

Quote:
Don't beat yourself up raising wild waterfowl is nothing like domestics, thats what makes it fun the challenges. You will have ups and downs every year no matter what. We have groups or Woodies that no matter what you do just refuse to eat. If you hatched 16 you are of to a good start. You said woodies are easy to raise this is not true in my opinion. They are easy to keep and breed rather easy but the young can be difficult at times. When did you lose the babies if it was in the first week I would suggest putting them in smaller groups like 6-8 ducklings with a couple of domestic chicks or call ducks. After about a 7-10 days remove the domestics. If they persist on jumping trying to get out you can try sprinkling a little hard boiled egg yolk on the feed and even a little on their backs this can sometimes get them interested in eating instead of jumping, but you will get some woodies that just keep jumping and will not eat no matter what. Just keep trying and be prepared for the downs but enjoy ups.

Thank you so much for your encouragement and your advice. I am going to keep on keepin on I guess. Last night I was ready to sell those that I have and call it quits. I am just such a duck lover and I was so excited about getting this new group started, that all the neg was really bumming me out.. patiently waiting for the ups!!!

Quote:
I try not to go around the aviary except to feed and clean. I hatched the domestics at the same time as the wood ducks hoping it would help them to start eating and drinking. I lost most of them within a few days. I thought I was paying pretty close attention to see that the woodies were all attempting to eat and drink. As of today the woodies and domestics have been together for 7 days. Should I pull the domestics now?
Lost 2 more today. and they were 6 days old. I am so lost at what I am doing wrong with them!

Last edited:
Quote:
I try not to go around the aviary except to feed and clean. I hatched the domestics at the same time as the wood ducks hoping it would help them to start eating and drinking. I lost most of them within a few days. I thought I was paying pretty close attention to see that the woodies were all attempting to eat and drink. As of today the woodies and domestics have been together for 7 days. Should I pull the domestics now?
Lost 2 more today. and they were 6 days old. I am so lost at what I am doing wrong with them!

You might talk to the mallard lane farm people, they raise a lot of woodies.

s.oaks
like waterdog said, they arent really easy to raise from scratch, easy to keep and breed yes, but they can be a pain in the rear to get to that 2-3 week stage.
What are you feeding them exactly?
yes remove the domestics, a few days tops is all they need to be in there, they are food hog and will esentuatlly startve wild ducks to death at times
are you adding anything to the water?
what temp is your brooder at?
are they around any other domestic birds? inside or out
are they just dying or do they have illness symptoms? Runny poop, listlessness, ect.
Just trying to get a round about idea of what you are working with to see if we can get some better results for you.

But Lord no, dont give up, there's someting you're missing somewhere and we can work threw it.

First year birds sometimes dont lay (mandarins) or have weak offspring (possible deal with the wood ducks)
Give it time, the birds will get better for you and you will get better for them. Yopu cant just jump right into these and not expect a hickup along the way. If it were that easy everyone would have them.

Snip those hooks off their toenails too and stop all that climbing. Once they realise they cant get out, they be more prone to settling down and acting normal
But do remember, wood ducks are the most wild of all the captive wild waterfowl. Just something about them. They are and always will be very jumpy and flighty in aviaries.

Might suggest trying some ring or marbled teal next year

Back
Top Bottom