The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

yep, at least he's showing some interest. I feel if he ever lets you get a few, he'll change his tune all together, there arent many out there that can say anything bad about them once they see them in person, hope it all works out for you.

yea, thats what im hopin too... So, im willing to negoiate with him now. I wanted northern shovlerers, mandrians, ringed teal, and American/European widgeons. Im gonna see if I can get 2 of these types. Worth a shot.

the American and European will interbreed from what I have read and shouldn't be kept together. Would be better to get Chiloe

Someone correct me if I am wrong

techincally, most any of them will breed together, especially within the same subspeices group, and even out of it.
Have seen wood duck widgeons, widgeon pintails, wood duck goldeneyes, scaup and pintail, etc. Wood ducks and pintails are your biggest threat for mixing to other species from what I have had, and seen pics of, the others arent too bad but, most any can cross breed. The only species I havent seen a cross to yet is a mandarin.
I even saw a ring teal pintail last night.

Trick is to give them plenty of space and evenly paired. I always kept all 3 species of widgeon in the same pens with no problems, but yes, there is a good chance in a small pen they will cross. Also, the 2 hens from these are very similar, so to a new person, you may not be able to tell them apart. I would go with european and chiloe if it were me, they are the prettiest of the 3, and less likely to mix. Plus the chilow stays in color all the time too.

but out of all the birds I have kept in community pens, by keeping them evenly paired and plenty of space, I only had 1-2 crosses over all those years. That's the trick to these community pens, plenty of room, and no odd ball spare birds, especially drakes, if anything, keep a few extra hens for the ones like wood ducks and pintails and you should be fine.

I know he likes the mandarins...we were at the ohio nationals, and we saw a mandarin male for sale. He asked me what type it was. I told him it's a mandarin, and he says he said they were neat and would like one. So mandarins are my best bet into the oranmental duck world

Hawian Drake

52664_img_5622.jpg

Red Crested Pochard Drake
52664_img_5623.jpg

Flying in the pen... Ring Teal
52664_img_5490.jpg

White Eyes
52664_img_5601.jpg

some of our other kiddos...
52664_img_5164.jpg

52664_img_5169.jpg

Videos... not very happy with them..I watched them on my computer fater uploading them and they seem fuzzy but you can see and hear them.. and the rooster in the background or my dad!
MHWAterfowl on youtube...

Back
Top Bottom