The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

ok, that makes room for more species! i think i will get 1 pair of mandarins(not sure if i will get white or regular,) a pair of ringed teal,a pair of fulvous,and then 5 other pairs of other types of teal, i love the teal!

how bigger pond do you think i need?

i really appreciate your answers! and sorry i am asking so many questions!

I'm in the process of making mine right now and my aviary is 20x50. My pond will be 12x14 and I'm getting 6 pairs. I'd say do something around that size put I wouldn't get to much smaller, bigger is better but thats my opinion

ok guys, i have been researching how to make my pond i think will use concrete. my plan it on a hill and to have an open 4in pipe coming out the bottom and then the outlet pipe at the bottom of the hill and then i will have a valve on the outlet pipe and then i don't have to deal with plugs and stuff. also some people say that their concrete ponds empty overnight some people say they don't empty at all. what has been your experience? could i use a sealer that is meant for fish? Surely if it is safe for fish it will be fine for ducks? also i have heard you need to empty and refill it a couple of times at first to neurtralize the ph of something,or maybe to get rid of something the concrete excretes?? have you guys ever done this?

thanks in advance

doesn't matter, chances are you'll never know who bred who unless you made 2 separate pens. odds of getting even numbers of males verses females is slim too even if you could keep track.
All that's for big scale breeders who have the space and ability to do it. Sounds like you are just wanting them for the fun of having them, which is great. Multiple pairs of those are fine together too.

yes baikals need a pen to themselves and very heavily brushed for hiding.
most any of the other teal are fairly easy
cape, marble, chestnut, all the American ones, all are fairly good community ones.
Hottentots are tine, so use small wire if you get them. They can walk right threw 2 inch poultry wire.

Ok, yes going to steer clear of the baikials and I haven't decided on the hottentots.

Could you talk me through my questions in post 1743? And 1742!

Thank you

Oh the pond part! Sorry been swamped here just ran threw quick. As big as you can stand. Afterall theyre waterfowl haha.
Some people just use several kiddie pools in small pens. Mine were massive 100,000's gallons of water.
But i had divers and sea ducks too .
Tree ducks are as happy on land as in water. And the puddlers in general are fine with smaller pools . no right or wrong answer with them. But always as much as you can provide is best. Well provide and keep clean

soooo,concrete ponds... what do all you guys think? do they crack? leak? high maintenance? what type of concrete did you use? when you built them did you put reinforcement underneath or did you just out the concrete right onto the earth?

thanaks

soooo,concrete ponds... what do all you guys think? do they crack? leak? high maintenance? what type of concrete did you use? when you built them did you put reinforcement underneath or did you just out the concrete right onto the earth?

thanaks

It's expensive. I would say if this is just gonna be s small hobby I would just use some kiddie pools

Back
Top Bottom