The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

54376_imag00281.jpg

I finally got my birds!

They're not in the aviary yet, just a little a-frame. A 14 year old can't go around spending loads of money and hope to get anything accomplished. I'm hoping it'll be done this weekend.

BTW, they're northern pintails, and A LOT smaller than I thought they would be.

LOL
I was just about to ask if you meant meller's.
Yes they arent very pretty and only Sylvan Heights has them that I am aware of. They are from Madagascar, and look like a mallard hen with a slightly elongated bill and green wing band, even the males...

Last edited:
Ok i got my new ringed teal today-> https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4928011#p4928011
but
alas i have yet another problem.
my mandarin hens and the "younger" drake are none the less just plain mean. the "older" drake doesn't seem to care all that much but if the teal are within a foot of the rest they will chase them and grab a hold of them. Is this just territorial? or will the divided area in my new pen end up having to be an area for mandarins and the other for teal?

Last edited:
yep, territorial, mandarins are bad about that, especially in breeding season. Usually, within a few days they settle down and have their pecking order established.
Never had any problems with mandarins bad enough to have to seperate birds from them. Just keep an eye out and make sure they settle down. Worst case, move the mandarins for a couple weeks, then put them back. They wont be the dominate birds in the pen then, and will not be so prone to bulling others.
This can always be a problem when adding new stock.
Congrats on the rings though, nice!

Well the good thing that i have found about auctions is that you can get stuff for a good price. The bad thing about them is that you don't get to ask the previous owner questions about them like how old they are. I'm still not even sure if i got two drakes or a hen and drake but as of right now I'm not to worried about it, they are still gorgeous birds. I bought a pair of silver bahama pintails for $80. I walked into the barn and as soon as i saw them i knew thats what i was going to buy. I'm still excited as all git-out. I really want to upload some pictures but there in my "quarantine cage" at the moment and they are still freaking out trying to get there heads through the wire. I put a towel over the cage and a swim tub in the cage so hopefully i can get them settled in and in the aviary sometime soon and get some good pictures.

Back
Top Bottom