The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

oh, no need to get me addicted, been that way for decades, I will just need yall to be my crack dealer, LOL supply me with my addiction!

Yep, I was sure hoping this would be the out come. I knew after all I had over the years and as well known as I was, that something wasnt right with them being banned, so was very glad to hear his reply!.
Hope to be in touch this summer!!!!

Thats what Im talkin bout
cool.png

Got dricted here
big_smile.png

Does any one raise Silver Bahama Pintils (sp?). I would like info/advise on raising them? How hard are the eggs to hatch? Would they fit in a brinsea mini? That is my rare/hard to hatch egg incubator.

bahama pintails, normal or silver arent too hard to hatch, they are worse than domestics obviously, but not one of the harder to hatch ones. Production was always my big problem with them, mine never laid very much. The birds being wood duck size do lay small eggs for ducks, 6-10 per clutch. If you were just getting a pair, I'd let the hen brood them, they usually hatch better that way, not sure just how big your incubator is, never had a mini. The eggs are a little bigger than large silkie eggs if that helps.
Many people have them too. Nornals run about $65 a pair, silvers $100ish
Let me know if you'd like some links or breeder names if no one else pops up with any for sale here first

yep, Steve, that's fine for them
In the winter I usually give grains to all my birds for added fat for insulation.
I stop in the spring though so they can slim up for breeding.
22% is fine for adults too. I usually used 18%, watch ducklings on the hier pro stuff though, dont want angle wing...

Quote:
Thank you Aubrey,

I use the 22% so when I add the grains it lowers the protein %'s a little bit, so they aren't really getting 22 %, and that is one of the main issues I was wondering about. Just wanted to make sure that would be enough protein for them

ETA- This would be for adult birds(sorry, I should have mentioned that in my post).

thanks,

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you Aubrey,

I use the 22% so when I add the grains it lowers the protein %'s a little bit, so they aren't really getting 22 %, and that is one of the main issues I was wondering about. Just wanted to make sure that would be enough protein for them

ETA- This would be for adult birds(sorry, I should have mentioned that in my post).

thanks,

oh yeah, you're in great shape then

Should I be worried about a drake who is not using one of his legs?
Even when he swims he is only using his left leg and not his right though I have seen him stretch it out.

It is a bufflehead drake and just alittle bit worried about him but I don't to stress him and catch him is there is not a big worry.. He is still eating and swimming and flying around in the pen!

Back
Top Bottom