The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

Quote:
haha, yeah I just saw that $88 and counting auction for 6 mandarin eggs, I'd pass on that, you'll be VERY luck to hatch 1-6 on shipped mandarin eggs.

Ed Jordan used to have tons of stuff in Maine, he was a great guy, I bought many a bird from him, but he was very old and I have lost touch, not even sure if he's still with us now. But yes outside of him, I never knew of any IN Maine, many close by in the New England area though.
try the www.GBWF .com for sale board and see whos got some listed on there, or get a copy of the Gazette or A.P.W.S. game bird magazines, those 3 places will be your best bet to narrow down your search.

Thanks boggy hopefully they won't do that
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Hopefully not.
I'd have a broody on hand or an incubator just to be safe til you know for sure if they are going to be nesters or not though. and like Destin always says, the trick is tons of cover and not being crowded in a breeding pen. If they are relaxed and totally comfortable they should have a much better shot at it.
Stressed birds will never lay or if they do will just drop them here and there.

Good luck with them, they and the java were always my favorites!

Wondering if there is any interest in anyone for buying these guys. They really need an aviary and pond and more than I can dedicate to them being as we live at a rental. Please PM if you are interested.

SAM_3881.jpg

SAM_3885-1.jpg

Wish you lived closer to me whitemountains. I love europeans. I know where some
are just have to wait until they raise. And just for curiosity would you cae to pm me the price.

Boggy, the eytons are my favorite too, but around here you can't really find the Javan and I have never had any experience with them. I started to get some cubans but those are like most shelducks, MEAN

yep, javas are rare, there are a few folks out there with them though.
And I agree, I had the cubans too, just as mean as they could be, and not all that colorful, so they didnt stick around but a few years, got tired of watching them sling teal around. Find you some java though, they are awsome and so tiny which I always loved. Another rare one I always like was the wandering, but they are pretty tuff to come across too. They always bred great and look a ton better to me than b belly or fulvous, so never uncerstood why they both were so hard to find???

I can give you a web link to some java if you'd like.

Im truly expecting my cubans to terrorize everyone but so far nice even to the smaller ducks.(knock on wood) But I do have a 10x10 for the trio if they get out of line. My europeans were mean to me today when I did a water change so spring is in the air. Even my lady amhearst pecked at me
lol.png

I got you beat Shawn. My 5 month old Heritage Del Roo mated my hand today ROFL!!!!!!!!! One of the Sussex Roos has decided to beat him up even though they were raised together. He was in the coop when I went to feed them so I gave him some cole slaw in my hand. He ate a few bites and then grabbed my finger and squatted and tried to do his thing. Hate they aren't getting along now as I hatch more Del eggs and have 4- 3 month old Dels in the grow out pen. 1 Roo and 3 Hens. Guess I will have to sell them :-(

Boggy, right now I really don't want to get any more tree ducks. I'm trying to get some more shelducks. I have ruddys and paradise and am getting cape and European this fall. I don't know about radjahs. Do you know where any are and what they normally cost? And I was considering Australian but considering the price of those fellas I'm gonna get the others going first.

yep, australians are a bit up there, and kinda similar to me in a way to the paradise anyway.. The radjahs, now, You need them. I loved mine, and believe it or not, they were great community ducks too. They are always $250 a pair. For some reason they always have and have never changed.
There are quite a few good breeders with them.
Just PM me if you need some names. Or try the www.GBWF.com for sale forum for people with them.

I want to say Mallrad Lanes has some too, but havent looked at their site in a long time.

But I do know a few others if the price is right to you.

nope scratch Mallard lanes, just checked, didnt see any shelducks on their site

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom