The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

You guys are making it hard to start off slow with all these pictures.
lol.png
I already know the 25x25 I'm planning on building won't last long lol.

Is it normal for a first year smew to be spending a few hours a day in a nest box? For the last few mornings when I have went out to feed one of my Smew have been in a nest box. She has not laid anything, but she has never went into a box before these last few days. She is housed with a first year male smew, a second year pair of hooded mergansers and a few Mandarins.

Quote:
sure did, that's a hooded egg no doubt

How can you tell? We are starting to get eggs and I have no idea what any of them are... all but 1 is in a raised box so take your pick!! I mean I only have 30 different species!

I know 1 is an Apricot Wood Duck hen because she is setting.. the others are still laying and one laid her eggs but after 8 eggs and a week she never sat on them so one of the chickens has them.. and to top it off I got my first 5 turkey eggs this weekend too!!!

I am going ot be over run with babies soon I hope!!

Question: Whats the longest period of time you have ever had eggs take to hatch? the reason i ask is because i pulled mandarin eggs this weekend for lockdown, saturday was the 28, sunday 29, monday 30, today makes 31 days and not external/internal pips but all (except 2) are still "alive" (knock on wood)

The two that stopped moving inside there shell, for some odd reason, died. both still had a good some of yoke left, so how much longer do you think it will take for these others to pip?

Quote:
sure did, that's a hooded egg no doubt

How can you tell? We are starting to get eggs and I have no idea what any of them are... all but 1 is in a raised box so take your pick!! I mean I only have 30 different species!

I know 1 is an Apricot Wood Duck hen because she is setting.. the others are still laying and one laid her eggs but after 8 eggs and a week she never sat on them so one of the chickens has them.. and to top it off I got my first 5 turkey eggs this weekend too!!!

Hoodies will be pure white and almost totaly round not egg shaped, Woodies and Mandies are egg shaped with the Woodies being whitish and Mandarins having a tan tint to them.

Quote:

Hoodies will be pure white and almost totaly round not egg shaped, Woodies and Mandies are egg shaped with the Woodies being whitish and Mandarins having a tan tint to them.

yep do it long enough and you can tell virtually all of them by species, some are a little tricky, but hooded are easy. Like waterdog said, see how white and golfball shaped they are. hooded all the way

Back
Top Bottom