The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

She has had 4 bad batches. She has laid and sat 2 clutches ea summer for the last 2 summers I have had her. Last was with a new Drake. This year I also got a new hen just to see what is going on. But this year I did put the 2 eggs I found on the ground in her nest. I hope they at least hatch for her

have you personally seen her getting bred? If so , and 2 years 4 batches, something might be going on. Sounds like she's a great broody though, may want to utilize her for that

Yes i have seen her breed. She has a very dutiful drake too. He stays in the front of the box with her guarding her. She has the nest in the back of the box. This year with another hen around too he is staying in the same part of the cage near her but have not seen him in the box with her

I got hurt 20 yrs ago. It took 15 for my back to go and now my neck is gone as well. Having my birds is what is keeping me outside and moving. It is to easy to stay inside in the recliner lol. Then I would be totally worthless. Injuries excellerate the deteriation of your disk much faster. I am only 50 and have battling the pain and to keep moving since i was 30. I am just about ready to give up ;-(

After reading most of the 100+ pages on this thread, and some info from other places.. Yep, I'm hooked! Looks like I'll be digging, pouring concrete and stretching wire and netting on a new pen this summer!

What pump would be good for the ponds? fountain/water garden pumps o.k. or does it need to be something bigger?

depends on the amount of birds you have in your ponds, more birds, bigger pump, filter. Unless you just have to have one, you dont have to use one, I didnt for a long time, it's going to get filthy and need changing any way. I just always kept freash water flowing into them for the most part, and drained cleaned and bleached the big ones monthly, the little ones bi weekly

Yep as boggy stated the more water movement the longer you can go between cleanings, another word of advice from making the mistake myself if making concrete ponds go with a 3-4 inch drain we tried 2" and they were always plugged nothing worse than busting the concrete to add a bigger drain.

Last edited:
I use a swimming pool pump without the filter running 24/7. It clogs over night if you use the filter. I just bought a new one. 2500 gal/hr on e-bay for 100 free shipping. I have been using them for years to keep the water flowing and aireated. I run the spray hose through a cinder block and they just love swimming under the falling water. I drain my pool every 3 days and spray it out. I also keep to cattle water stock treatment things in it changed every month. It is supposed to keep the water pure from the feces.
If you get a small one it won't last long as they are not meant to run 24/7. My last one was 1000 or 1500 gal and it has lasted 1 1/2 yrs. it still works but is making noises so i got another one and will keep the old one as a back up.

yep 2" drain can be a pain but any larger and you risk your duck getting its head stuck in the line when they stick their head in it checking things out. I have a drain clog line thing I just run down mine for when a piece of bark or a stick gets stuck. if it is just straw and leaves you can just use your foot like a plunger over the drain hole and it clears right out

Back
Top Bottom