The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

7 more Mandy ducklings this morning. Wasn't expecting them until Thursday. Funny thing is the hen that sat them is not the hen mothering them lol. Guess my egg dumper wanted to be a mom without sitting the eggs lol. Now the setter was giving her man what for wanting more ducklings of her own. Glad these girls aren't producing like my other hens did. They each hatched 16 with no less than 13 surviving. Wonder if it has to do with the number of ducks in the aviary. My other hens didn't get to lay in the new Aviary with all the new birds. They were sold and I got 6 new unrelated 2010 birds from several people and I kept one of my drakes from the last hatch

I have 13 mandarin eggs slated to hatch wed... The hen has been incubating them very well, imo. I have 2 pairs of wood ducks (1 hen is now settin 7 eggs), 1 pair of ringed teal, 1 pair of chiloe wigeon, and another pair of mandarins in the same pen that is 14'X40' or so with two ponds. I'm thinking they should be ok so i'm lettin her keep them and raise them. I'll have to let you know if it happens!

Travis

Wood ducks can be somewhat difficult to get them eating. Sprinkle food on the floor of the brooder and onto the ducklings themselves. I feed mine starter crumbles and boiled egg yolks. Live meal worms can also be good, but it is hard for me to get them locally since the reptile store closed. Don't forget to mark them...right hind toe clip, seamless band, or pinion.

Last edited:
well im doing something right!!
smile.png
i Still have 5 of them and its been 7 days!!

Wooh!!! Babies babires everywhere and I have no idea what most of them are..

First the bad news... 7 hoodies were born 3 weeks ago.. Down two 3 until today. The heat index got up to 105 today and one of them had a heat stroke
sad.png

on the good news Mr and Mrs Eyton had 6 healthy babies!! on Sunday my Apricot Wood duck hatched 13.. bringing my wood duck/mandarin/Ring teal total to around 50 if not more.. I say total because of my next dumping problem and I have no idea what any of them are execept for 1.. Yeah it is a white manadrin!!

On another note..I got told today that these 5-6 mystious eggs that were laid this week are Buffleheads!! Keep you fingers crossed!! and my smew is still setting on her eggs!! we are almost done with the smaller hatch pen/brood house so hopefully my three week old Mergansers will more into that this weekend out of their dry brooder and if not for sure into their wet brooder! I am so not going to be able to sell those two little ones! They like to be hand feed mealworms!!

so anything special I need to know about Tree ducks! I am suppossed to be getting 5 more this weekend (fully grown)!
smile.png
like I need more birds... lol

congrats on all that kanga

and hey hey, just noticed someone put me down as a BYC Educator.
That's pretty cool, thanks to who ever may have done that if you came from this thread!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom