The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

Let see.. I ahve 2 Mandarins, wood ducks setting, a sharpwing on eggs, and yesrtday I pulled 8 Hoodie eggs and 6 Ruddy eggs and put them under a broody chicken. The Merganser was seriously next dumping so I decided to let me little silkies sit on them since they were dying to sit on eggs...

My dad and iw ere talking because I was getting so jealous that I had hardly nothing laying and he reminded me that when the BIG tordandos hit last April 27th we had no birds on egss yet and we only had quail and chicken eggs in the bators and few turkey eggs. so they should kick into high gear soon.

I am getting 3-4 turkey eggs a day, some silver pheasant eggs and a ringneck egg every now and then... Now to get everyon else laying.

If anyone knows where I can get a Swinhoe Pheasant female or twol please let me know... I got a pair, the make died in shipping on tuesday on friday I got a male from a breeder I knew at an auction and saturday the hen died... Yeah my luck!

Shawn if you have Baikals I want some!!!

On another note... I have 7 Sebastopol Eggs, some brown chinese eggs, lots of call ducks and Indian runners and dozen of chicken eggs in the incuabtors.. If you know where I can find a reasonably priced used cabinet incubator log me know!

peeked in Reg Bahama box this a.m.and saw 1 duckling peeking out from under moms wing. She is still in sitting mode so probably more to come. I forget is she laid 8 or 10 eggs but think it was 10

8 Ringed Teal ducklings are doing great

I wouldn't feed layena at all except during breeding season. From what I have read to much calcium will shut down the kidneys especially on the drakes that don't need extra calcium. You would be better off feeding Purina Flock Raiser and putting out bowls of oyster shell for the hens. That's my opinion. Others will give you their and you can make your choice of the options given.

My 8 domestic duck hens eat a half gal bowl of oyster shell a week

I thought the flock raiser was too high a protein (20%) for layers? I was looking at feeding the 16% Layena for a couple of months while laying. The Mazuri waterfowl breeder is 17%, but the cost is very high. My ducks won't touch the oyster shells. They are on a 16% duck grower and I add meal worms, earthworms and the floating pellets for extra protein. I thought the Layena would help with the calcium since they won't touch the oyster shells, didn't think about the drakes. :idunno

Everyone feeds different or what they can get locally. Exoticduckluver does very well with what she feeds and has plenty of babies to prove it. I feed chicken layer pellets year round but also add some mazuri breeder right now. I think some flock raiser added this time of year for breeders is fine as long as some calcium is in there somewhere.Ive never had a problem with drakes and too much calcium with the layer pellets I feed year round.

oops with the flock raiser you cut it with scratch and white proso millte. I get what is called ultra scratch. it has sunflower seed, winter peas,wheat, oats, corn, pellet feed, red millit. That is what my domestics get plus they free range all day. I put a bowl of this mix in for the Exotics everday too along with their Mazuri in winter

I thought Hooded Mergansers didn't breed until 2nd yr??? 1 of my prs was breeding this afternoon and the drakes are just now starting to get a little white in their heads

I love to watch the Hoodies playing chase over sticks they drag into the pool

Here is my Mandarin Hen turning like a Drake. A first for me in 6 yrs of raising them. I guess that's what I get for trading out blood lines. She was fine, laid and hatched a clutch last spring

Back
Top Bottom