The Millennials Thread (Gen Z is welcome too)

I ended up getting to bed at 3 am jeez i pulled a @Meri Maura Move LOL
you did
1 silkie, 4 orps, and 4 porcelain d'culles
d'uccles im getting one 🤩🥳
Yuck to ducks. I just had to move these two mess makers outside. Couldn’t handle the mess anymore inside. View attachment 2654778View attachment 2654780
yes. when mine lived in a cage they turned it into mud. yuck.
I'm listening to my class have a debate if burgers are sandwiches. This is my math class lol
sounds like online is effective
Google is always correct. I worship google
hmmm

Until your cycle is fully set up.
https://modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

basically, you put ammonia in the water, and eventually you'll start seeing less ammonia and more nitrate, and when you have enough nitrate, you'll end up with nitrite
when you see low ammonia and medium nitrates and high nitrites you're good
once you get the fish, you stop adding ammonia b/c the fish does that by pooping
@HappyClucker7 can explain it better

It's actually the other way around. You start with ammonia, then you get nitrites, and then nitrates.
So, there are two ways to start a cycle. You can either put some fish food in the tank and wait for it to dissolve, or you can drop a little bit of ammonia into the water.
Test every day or two until you notice the ammonia levels dropping. This means that bacteria have grown in the tank and they are eating the ammonia. Now you can start testing for nitrites. The nitrites will slowly build up, while the ammonia goes down.
If the ammonia levels go down to 0 for several days, you can add a tiny bit more ammonia, or some fish food, to feed the bacteria.
After a while, you'll notice the nitrite levels go down. That means that more bacteria have grown and are eating the nitrites. Now you can test for nitrates.
Once all the nitrites are gone, and you have nitrates in the water, then you can add a little bit of ammonia. The next day, there should be no ammonia, or nitrites in the water. Only nitrates. Then your cycle is done.

Back
Top Bottom