The mink struck again! New plan, will it work?

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
I will call around and find out the laws today. I did set the trap last night and came up with a big opossum.

thomas h

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Hammond Ontario Canada
hi

I string an grounded wire 3 to 4 inches below the live wire . two to three sets .
I grounded the the wire to a post in the ground .

My shed is wood and the area i use for a pen is has metal above ground pool for the fence .It has two sets and the shed has three sets of eletrical fencing ..

I wonder if a rat could get in .Or even go near that electric fence .

right now I have no mice and no rats .And I always had mice and some times rats .

I was going to buy some mice food but I have not caught a mouse in a trap
for a while now .

I just hope my situation stayes like it is .

But woodland babies are growing up and in the fall is when I had problems In the past.
But now after reading alot on this forum I have an electrical fence .

I lost all my quail to an ermine [weasel] In 1 night ,,,, a few years back .
Now I will try again to have some chickens .

thomas

Trenary Duck Farm

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Michigan UP
thomas h, we use Premier's PermaNet for Poultry and it won't stop a duckling from going through it. I'm positive it won't stop a weasel or a mink from coming in. We employ rotational grazing, and the only practical defense we have against these predators is a livestock guardian dog. Other solutions are just cost prohibitive for us.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
Well before I got into poultry of any kind I already had 3 dogs. Which I still have. I can't have a fourth and my 3 are not much of a guardian for the birds. Now mind you a human predator would want to be wary with 3 150lb bullmastiffs roaming the premises but the 4 legged predators save maybe a coyote they just don't seem to notice.

If I found somebody with a feisty Jack Russel or another terrier, they may be able to take care of the problem. My bullies are too slow anyways.

I agree I don't think electric fencing of any kind would deter the mink.

thomas h

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Hammond Ontario Canada
hi

I have three dogs already .
A bluetickhound , a Rotty crossed with a german shepard and a Blind Jack Russell.
It will be a while before I can get another dog .

The jack would kill everything but its blind.

Thanks for giving some hope.LOL

there are lots of weasels around here..

Well maybe Ill set my electrical fence to the highest range...MAYBE>>

I hope My dogs do not touch it .They will be screaming if they do..

I Have to test the voltage or joules ?Then I now what numbers the unit has..It has three settings..

A freind is a trapper and There is a trapper inlaw..but then there is a season for them or a nuisance permit .I believe.

thomas

Last edited:

twentynine

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Electric fencing can keep mink out.

18ga. stainless conductor 4" off the ground. Using a weed cutter (don't remember the brand) charger, suppose to be good for like 50-100 miles of wire. i do know that I have been hit with it a couple times. Makes my eyes go white, bite my tongue, and I stay sore for a couple days. Leaves a burn mark too!

I have actually killed mink on my electric fence. They hit the fence, being as mean as they are, they turn around and bite at the wire. I guess the electricity locks their jaws. Find'em smoldering dead on the wire.

What is premier perma fence?

thomas h

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Hammond Ontario Canada
GREAT some hope for my chickens .

My electrical fence is for ,,,well over a hundred miles,, and I use a little more then 200 feet of wire for my fence ..

18ga. stainless conductor 4" off the ground.

I will give it a try.

thomas

Trenary Duck Farm

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Michigan UP
Quote:PermaNet

Twentynine, your fence sounds like something that would kill my ducks too. Furthermore, a weedcutter charger will damage my type of fencing.

Heard a story about a local farmer who hooked up his fence directly to the house outlet. He found an eight point buck the next morning, dead.

Last edited:

twentynine

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Quote:PermaNet

Twentynine, your fence sounds like something that would kill my ducks too. Furthermore, a weedcutter charger will damage my type of fencing.

Heard a story about a local farmer who hooked up his fence directly to the house outlet. He found an eight point buck the next morning, dead.

I have had chickens hit it. In my younger less mature years I thought it was fun to watch. Strung a hot wire at the top of a 4 foot fence to keep the chicken from flying over. Wouldn't do that today. But the chickens, lots of squawking, some feathers flying, but never fatal.

Like I said I have hit this thing a couple times myself. Last time I was feeding my meat rabbits. I dropped the measuring cup I used to meter out the feed, on the ground behind the hot wire under the cage. It was misting rain so the ground was damp my hat was wet. I bent over carefully reached beyond the wire so my arm would not come in contact. I forgot about the bill on the baseball cap. I swear the spark comming off that wire was 2" long, twice as big as a lightning bolt. I can still today hear the zzzzzzwappppp! When I did manage to get up and get back in the house, my wife wanted to know why I was all wet and muddy.

Felt bad about the sport I used to make of the chickens hitting that wire.

Top Bottom