The mink struck again! New plan, will it work?

just to let you know .. those lil mink have a gland at their rump that has some nasty smelling stuff kinda like a skunk so you may wanna be careful while its in the trap........

a guy from work had chickens a long time ago. he told me about how something was getting in his coop killing a ton of chickens in one night, just killing them, biting two little "vampire holes" in the necks. turned out it was mink. a piar of minks. he said they were hard to catch and that they get a blood lust and start killing everything that moves once they kill something. i dont think i would just release it after hearing him tell what they did to his chickens. he said one of the pair he caught he had stuffed and sits on his ex wife's mantle.
good luck! i hope they dont discover your coop

Hi.

most animals are out of season to kill here in ontario.
thats a good idea to live trap.
a farmer has the right to protect their animals by killing the vermin .

I wrap the bait ,sardines, and attach it with wire to the trigger.
and the door is weighted with a metal bar the makes the door close better.

good luck tonight

thomas

I don't want to kill them anyways. Call me soft hearted, but after researching them they are very fascinating.

I know they are just trying to survive, I would just like them to try to survive else where on other wild animals not pets.

I have no hard feelings to the mink!.....Yet anyways. I hope he isn't too crafty this is my first attempt to catch any type of wild animal.

A few things to consider.

1. Laws very from state to state, and no doubt province to province. Check with your local wildlife management agency regarding the legality of trapping mink at this time of the year. Make sure they know you are dealing with a pest/predation problem.

2. This time of year, a female will likely be with young. If you relocate the female, the young may not yet be viable enough to survive on their own. If you saw two together, they may be young of the year. How long would you say they were: Nose to tip of tail?

3. When you relocate an animal, you often introduce them to other animals' territories. Unlike anything seen on Disney, wild animals can be brutal to each other. It will be introduced to a new area where it is unaware of terrain, best food locations, and best hiding places. It may be more susceptible to predators. Relocation is often not humane. Relocation is also a way to inadvertently introduce disease from one area to another. What appears to be a healthy animal, is not always so. When I do animal damage control/ pest removal. I do not relocate. If the customer is not okay with the euthanization of the animal, I am fine with it, but won't do the work.

Mink!

Some of you are not going to believe this, but I have first hand experience. Worked on a fish farm back in my teenage years.

You can make a mink drown himself. They are very nervous animals, they panic and will injure themselves trying to get away from you. If you find him swimming in a creek scare him so he dives under, walk along the creek following his shadow, when he rises for air, scare him immediately. He will dive again. Repeat until he don't come back up.

Quote:
old.gif

PS, 5 miles isn't really all that far. It might be worth a call to the local AC or a wildlife rehabber if you don't want to put it down. They may charge, but if you call around they maybe be willing to relocate to an area they know could handle it? PS, in the area where I live, they are the only ones legally to live trap and remove wild animals without breaking 3 different sets of laws
smile.png

Quote:
thanks for registering and replying for us .
I like your answer.
the trappers have their laws as well.

There are pest control companies .

I use an electric fence so I do not need to deal with much problems .
And I do not free range my chickens unless they get out by mistake ..

Yesterday was Canada Day .the ministry was closed yesterday .
The office should be open today...

thomas

Back
Top Bottom