The Moonshiner's Bootleg Incubator Reviews And Discussions

Pics
I got to page 35 of this thread and haven't made it to the end yet. But your alls good hatch rates solidified my decision to buy NR 360. I have a GQF 1502 as an incubator, and was using a Hovabator Genesis as a hatcher but the fan burned out. Who knows how long it will take the replacement part to arrive, so I ordered the little NR 360 to make due as a hatcher for smaller groups of eggs in the meanwhile. It should be here Thursday. :wee

Got the MeeF incubator delivered today. It seems well built, fits together good. Daughter is picking up my hatching eggs for me after work today.

Just out in my old-timey thermometer, but it's holding it's temp according to the display. Although that means nothing as I've had a 'bator cook my eggs in lockdown whilst still displaying a good temp.

View attachment 3765003

I'll report on how it does with the eggs.

I also ordered a Maticoopx. Because of all of you raving about it!!!!
Lucky! The maticoopx is now out of stock. I need it. 😞

Here’s my review on my incubators

First up my 32 egg incubator.
Pros
-Keeps temp and humidity good as long as it has a light blanket on top.
See through lid
-Can actually fit 50 eggs if I stack eggs. (Can post a pic of that if anyone wants to see)
-Don’t have to open lid to add water
-Aromatic turner
Mid
-66% hatch rate
-Beeps when it need water
Cons
-The tray for the chicks to hatch on doesn’t reach any of the four walls, it leaves a 1/2 in - 1 in gap around. Chicks fall down under the great and some drowned in the water tray. I had to make a border out of cardboard so the chicks wouldn’t fall underneath.
-The screen that tells you the temp(in Celsius), humidity, day, when it will turn, and to tell u if the candling light is on, the blue screen it’s very bright when it’s in your room while your trying to sleep. The words also don’t always work.
-The great holes are a little to big for bantams. Some of my chicks get their legs stuck. Have to lay paper towels on the great so their legs don’t get stuck.
-Very had to clean
-Have to tape one side of the lid down so it will hold temp and humidity, had to start doing this last year after I used it all year. Have had this incubator for 5 years
- this incubator has candleing lights in each of the egg holders but you can’t see in side the eggs even though it a very bright light, maybe it’s just cause I use bantam eggs. I like to hand candle me my eggs anyway.
-kinda loud humming noise all the time
Over all it was a good idea but bad engineering.
View attachment 3763315

Second, my 42 little giant incubator.
Pros
-keeps temp and humidity
- aromatic turner
-hatching great is on the bottom of the incubator and bantams can’t get their legs stuck in the holes.

Mid
- have to open lid to add water
- can get humidity above 55% when chicks are hatching
Cons
- 0% hatch rate. I’ve had this Incubator sense I was little. I know it did hatch chicks at one time. I’ve had it for about 12 years.
- I have more chicks that form their organs on the out side over my other incubator or under a hen.
- can get a few chicks all the way to piping then they die.
-needs two pug ins (one for motor, on for turner)

View attachment 3763330

I’ve never used this 42 egg still air incubator before. If anyone knows the best way to use it please share. I’m testing it out this weekend for the BYC hatch along. I don’t even know if mine holds temp or humidity, found it in an old building. I do know that it does turn on.
View attachment 3763331

Over all I like broody hens better but I’ll take my plastic incubator anyday over my little giant.

In the future I’d like to make my own incubator out of a mini fridge or get a large incubator that can incubator/hatch 300+ chicks/or other birds.
yeah, the first incubator was something I was considering, until I read the Amazon reviews.....................

It seems to go out of stock a lot, I noticed. I guess I was lucky indeed to get mine.

I got it set up, ran it for a few days, then tossed in some of my own chicken eggs to test out. They're on day 4 now, so may candle later.
You sure did get lucky! I'm gonna check back periodically and see if it comes back in stock. I would love to have one. Hope your hatch goes well!

yeah, the first incubator was something I was considering, until I read the Amazon reviews.....................
It's still an ok incubator with its flaws, so far its the only one of my 3 that actually hatches chicks, and I like that I'm able to stack eggs to hatch more chicks at a time. I did end up buying a larger version (55 egg holder) of my first one the other day. I'll give a review after I use it. From pictures that I saw the other day while incubator shopping on Amazon they have updated it (ive had mine for 5 years) . the grate holes look small and it looks like the grate reaches all the wall. the flaw i seen is that the motor for the tuners is sitting in a egg holder.

It's still an ok incubator with its flaws, so far its the only one of my 3 that actually hatches chicks, and I like that I'm able to stack eggs to hatch more chicks at a time. I did end up buying a larger version (55 egg holder) of my first one the other day. I'll give a review after I use it. From pictures that I saw the other day while incubator shopping on Amazon they have updated it (ive had mine for 5 years) . the grate holes look small and it looks like the grate reaches all the wall. the flaw i seen is that the motor for the tuners is sitting in a egg holder.
huh. that's odd

So looks like our milk cooler we trashed was 2 feet deep and 3 long. It was a fancy one so half the front wall actually could lower too. Would have made a great brooder too, especially since what was broken was the cooler. Couldn't get it to stay under 40f

Back
Top Bottom