The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

That was a little man not serious about birds.
That had chicks in it a couple days ago and they were loud.
I turned my back for a few then caught the boy in the process of writing No More Chicks on it.
Apparently he was tired of their noise and may well not be my child with that attitude.
Does he have to help with the chores? Because then I can understand his sentiment.
Few weeks ago he asked why I loved chickens so much.
We talked a bit and I ended it by saying one day they'll all be yours. It'll be your chicken empire.
He looked at me all hard-core and said why would you do that to me?
I cant make no sense out of that boy.

I told my son that he could breed chickens and sell them if he couldn’t find a job right out of college. His response: “Not everyone wants to play with chickens like you, dad.” My response: “I don’t think you’re picking up what I’m laying down, son.”
I don’t know how he could expect to make any money that way. Starving artist? More like starving chicken breeder. Except it’s not just him who’s starving, but the chickens too. Because they aren’t worth what it costs to feed them.

Does he have to help with the chores? Because then I can understand his sentiment.

I don’t know how he could expect to make any money that way. Starving artist? More like starving chicken breeder. Except it’s not just him who’s starving, but the chickens too. Because they aren’t worth what it costs to feed them.
So logical :hit

It’s just about putting some time in a task that has a very small return. It encourages him to seek out a real paying job. Souring the milk, so to speak.

20221017_065112.jpg

I’m not sure if they really are stupid or if it’s the crests. My hatchery Silkies seem pretty capable, if not as sharp as my other breeds. They are sharper than Delaware cockerels or CX but my show Silkies never figured out how to roost.

I have two such “Silkie brooders” right now.
3 currently. 2 with silkie chicks (11 with 1 mom amd 3 with the other) and this one with 3 naked necks and 2 red coop mixes.
They might be pretty stupid sometimes, but their mom skills are top notch.
Mine aren't necessarily smart like a rat or parrot, but they're not dumb like people seem to say they are either
I’m not sure if they really are stupid or if it’s the crests. My hatchery Silkies seem pretty capable, if not as sharp as my other breeds. They are sharper than Delaware cockerels or CX but my show Silkies never figured out how to roost.
I just don't bother with them roosting. I keep their nest area clean and they do just fine besides that. Of course, David (the male) is a special kind of special, but I could say the same about one of my brahma and my Cornish bantams too, so that isn't too bizarre.

Here's the decked out naked neck. His mama is a naked neck for sure because none of my girls have feathered legs and muffs like he does (they look more evident now versus this pic). Other 2 have clean legs and I think 1 has muffs too, hoping one of them is out of the Boykin my pfp.
20221013_181117.jpg

Back
Top Bottom