The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

Unfortunately not likely. Pheasants seem to require a lot more care than I can provide. So, like emus and occelated turkeys, I will just yearn from afar 😅
I had always thought they were supposed to be a pita and we can't have ringnecks without a permit so I've never considered any pheasants.
That's what I asked him and he chuckled and say they're less hassle then the chickens. :confused:

Not enough so though. He was moving out of state in a week.
Had some chickens running around and I saw several EEs. Thinking of my boys quest for something besides white eggs I asked if he was taken them or wanted to let a few go.
He said oh no I love my birds they're all going. Just not cool, dude.

I had always thought they were supposed to be a pita and we can't have ringnecks without a permit so I've never considered any pheasants.
That's what I asked him and he chuckled and say they're less hassle then the chickens. :confused:
Interesting. Well, I'll watch from across the web and see how yours do. I love the red Goldens and the lady Amherst (and a 3rd, but I can't remember ir off the top of my head) but I keep getting scared off because the people that raise them here seem to say that I'd have better luck keeping seahorses alive than these

Interesting. Well, I'll watch from across the web and see how yours do. I love the red Goldens and the lady Amherst (and a 3rd, but I can't remember ir off the top of my head) but I keep getting scared off because the people that raise them here seem to say that I'd have better luck keeping seahorses alive than these
Well I might be more then a novice. I did write a article about them on here once.

Red Goldens? Is that a thing?
The male was really colorful.
They are. I think that's the original mutation/morph. @007Sean can help you out with pheasants.
I've never wanted them because of the pen I'd have to build to keep them in. I also know they aren't as hardy as chickens, or at least that's what I've been told. Same reason I won't get peafowl. I have no desire to deal with deworming them constantly and all the other stuff that goes along with their care.

Red goldens are gorgeous.

😍 😍
1685577357968.png
1685577373616.png

They are. I think that's the original mutation/morph. @007Sean can help you out with pheasants.

I've never wanted them because of the pen I'd have to build to keep them in. I also know they aren't as hardy as chickens, or at least that's what I've been told. Same reason I won't get peafowl. I have no desire to deal with deworming them constantly and all the other stuff that goes along with their care.
Well, since I got 'tagged', Goldens and Amherst are 'easy-peasy'. You just can't free range them....or I guess you could but only once! :lau Those that say they are hard to raise probably never have raised them or their an out and out liar! They require a higher protein feed than chickens,
a predator proof enclosure, and protection from the harshest elements but that's no different from chickens. They can withstand extremes in temperatures of 110°F to -20°F if given adequate care.

Someone in this thread, :confused: said they are
a mutation. Uh NO!!!! Red Goldens are the 'pure' form of Golden pheasant. The Yellow Goldens are a mutation of the Red Goldens....as well as all the other color morphs, Cinnamon, Dark Throated, Salmon, and to a lesser extent, Peach and Silver, which are a cross between Yellow and Cinnamon and a mutation 'poped up' creating the Peach. Silver Goldens are thought to be a dilute Yellow Golden. Then you also have splashes of all of them....do to all the cross breeding that has occurred.

Sorry to 'bend your ear' here but sometimes I get carried away talking 'pheasants'!
ETA- pics
1111917-377469ddc8559b7ae3b7f68aa8aa5989.jpg
100_4765-01.jpg
2Q==.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom