The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

Well, since I got 'tagged', Goldens and Amherst are 'easy-peasy'. You just can't free range them....or I guess you could but only once! :lau Those that say they are hard to raise probably never have raised them or their an out and out liar! They require a higher protein feed than chickens,
a predator proof enclosure, and protection from the harshest elements but that's no different from chickens. They can withstand extremes in temperatures of 110°F to -20°F if given adequate care.

Someone in this thread, :confused: said they are
a mutation. Uh NO!!!! Red Goldens are the 'pure' form of Golden pheasant. The Yellow Goldens are a mutation of the Red Goldens....as well as all the other color morphs, Cinnamon, Dark Throated, Salmon, and to a lesser extent, Peach and Silver, which are a cross between Yellow and Cinnamon and a mutation 'poped up' creating the Peach. Silver Goldens are thought to be a dilute Yellow Golden. Then you also have splashes of all of them....do to all the cross breeding that has occurred.

Sorry to 'bend your ear' here but sometimes I get carried away talking 'pheasants'!
ETA- picsView attachment 3524926View attachment 3524945View attachment 3524947View attachment 3524960
I really prefer the original. But dark throated give me soldier vibes for some reason, which I think is cool.

Schitts Creek Eww GIF by CBC

Hey Moony, do your muscovy ducklings act..... kinda slow? My batch of scovies and Swedish came in and the scovies seem like they just don't know what to do. I had one pass already and two more that just kinda.... sit there. They aren't running around like the Swedish are and don't seem interested in the feed or playing in the waterer like the swedish do.

Hey Moony, do your muscovy ducklings act..... kinda slow? My batch of scovies and Swedish came in and the scovies seem like they just don't know what to do. I had one pass already and two more that just kinda.... sit there. They aren't running around like the Swedish are and don't seem interested in the feed or playing in the waterer like the swedish do.
And I want to add that they all were bright eyed and bushy tailed when I unpacked them.

Back
Top Bottom