The Moonshiner's Leghorn Thread Peanut Gallery

Our state fair champions deserved it. But there were birds that shouldn't have ever been there. One was wry tailed very obviously, one had a crooked breast and two had no feathers on their heads. They had been plucked bald. Obviously two were DQ'd and the other two placed last, but still. There was no reason to even bring them
Crooked keel is only a severe defect for most breeds (Cornish, Asil, Turkeys ect being disqualifications) but there’s still no reason to bring them.
There was a crooked keeled bird at the last fair I judged, but I dqed him because of his bow legs. It seems if they’re a little deformed they’re a lot deformed.
One of our Ancona cockerels had a crooked keel this year. Sadly he was still to young to be worth eating.
The superintendent at that fair works for Hyline and he said the high production layers produce so much and draw so much calcium from their bones that the bones deossify and get so soft that they bend into weird shapes, crooked keels being extremely common. Gross, but a little fascinating.

Check out this fancy “crossbreed egg layer.” I think it’s like a Sapphire Gem Olive egger or something. But it’s lacing is better than most purebreds…
F4C4F99D-DE45-4467-9A0D-CEA64D2FA225.jpeg 62F50A6B-7EA5-404D-A03C-51F7FB80C3CB.jpeg C864E12D-1CB3-46C5-B183-93721311DB63.jpeg 7D03DDCA-C4EE-4936-A629-3F5B1D6D6511.jpeg
Oh, also, they had the most magnificent Hamburgs but they had heavy stubs. (tiny feathers growing out of their feet. DQ)

Back
Top Bottom