The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I am also breeding to standard, but I have quite a bit of poultry breeding friends who are members of the APA like myself and we are looking to get our varieties recognized in the future
Well yes, but it is easier to breed better quality when you have two varieties to improve. It gives you more space to hatch more. Which I'm sure someone with like 20 varieties would understand. :p plus in the future when I make separate breeding cages with different runs it will be a lot easier with two breeds and four varieties.

Well yes, but it is easier to breed better quality when you have two varieties to improve. It gives you more space to hatch more. Which I'm sure someone with like 20 varieties would understand. :p plus in the future when I make separate breeding cages with different runs it will be a lot easier with two breeds and four varieties.
Well I do have 350 egg incubators :lau. I also have a lot of free time for paying attention to each breed.

Now back to the chick....
View attachment 1463418
You can see some chipmunk stripes so you know he has wild type. There's a head spot so you know there's barring.
With as diluted as it looks you'd figure double factor barring.
I was hoping for double factored duckwing.
The same chick today....
View attachment 1463426 View attachment 1463430
As you can see he is double factor barred but clearly no duckwing pattern showing.
He is extended black/ duckwing DF cuckoo
Sometimes, they need to reach adolescence before extra colors come in -- your chick looks almost identical to my juveniles. Yet since your using silver there won't be autosomal red on the shoulders --- right? I'll have to check my book on that. What a pretty chick BTW!

Just an add on BTW, you could breed him to your barred pullets instead of going back to the parents, right?
:jumpy

Are you planning on making this variety sexlinked by breeding for chicks with more separate colors between the sexes?

Mille Fluer Plymouth Rocks! But you need mottling to get that. What would you outcross it with to get it? I know you have d'Uccles, but I wouldn't recommend using a bird that has feathers on it's legs.
Yes I'm wanting cuckoo silver duckwing and cuckoo gold duckwing that will be autosexing.
I have one cuckoo rooster that has always been very light. He mostly throws very light cockerels but his pullet offspring are typical.
I started with him for that reason.
This is the rooster....
1005881-f645b6c72b86e25746240dd921c6c917-1.jpg

This is a typical rooster from my cuckoo line.... You can see he hasn't near the contrast with the hens as the other guy.
1005880-63ba6ad5a2e8a2edf15c76fedfcc47ea.jpg

Sometimes, they need to reach adolescence before extra colors come in -- your chick looks almost identical to my juveniles. Yet since your using silver there won't be autosomal red on the shoulders --- right? I'll have to check my book on that. What a pretty chick BTW!

Just an add on BTW, you could breed him to your barred pullets instead of going back to the parents, right?
:jumpy
I've got a few options on what to breed him with.
You know how it works. I could breed him one way and get higher % of the females I need of breed him a different way with less chance for the pullets but the chance for Double factor barred males.
I have a whole separate line of the same crosses but that's the line that the exchequer popped up in so I turned it into exchequer projects.
Exchequer is recessive so didn't want it to come back and start popping up in some of the other projects later.

Ya that chick had me second guessing. I had a Willie that tried to hatch twice in a row and she can't cover many eggs and neither time any hatched. I had another hen hatch a clutch and when she moved on there was one egg left that was pipped so I throw it under the silkie and she became a proud mother finally.
When I saw it I snapped that pic so I could look closer. Then I went and checked the code on the egg shell. No mistake what it was since it was the only chick and only shell.
Yes check that autosomal red on silvers.
I have a silver cockerel out there running the yard that does have it. He's the only one I've ever had with it.
I noticed him the other day and was going to double check and make sure he wasn't carrying gold. Although that shoulder red is the only color he has. Nothing like my other silver/gold cockerels.

Well, well! That's great cause I am looking to start a collection of self created Plymouth Rock varieties
Sounds cool.
One of the reasons I started this thread wasn't so much about showing off my birds but to show off what someone could do with one breed and a few colors/patterns.
I'm not a genetics scholar. I've never even read a genetics book of any sort.
I like to say I know a lot about a little and a little about a lot. Enough to know I'll never know enough.
In other words if I can do it I would think about anyone could. I've mentioned I learned the old fashion way by doing and putting birds on the ground and I'm hoping this thread may show you what I mean. I started way before the internet so it wasn't like you could just Google it or hop on the calculator. I do look stuff up when I need to but it seems like everything else. Info overload and too many varying answers. Some people are great at researching and studying like that but I'm not one of them. It bores me and I find it a lot more fun to learn by opening the incubator and studying what's in that hatch. I wanted to share some of how that works and show some pics so you can see it in action.
I don't get all technical and quote answers out of a book. Just explain it as best I can in a way that's easier to understand for some.
Hopefully it will be a different look into the genetics and what can be done. An alternitive to or addition to all the scientific explanations and info out there.
Plus maybe a little insight into what and how I do things and some times the strangeness of things that run through the mind of a hillbilly that's breeding projects that the rest of the world doesn't see in a way that I do.
Hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]Sounds cool.
One of the reasons I started this thread wasn't so much about showing off my birds but to show off what someone could do with one breed and a few colors/patterns.
I like to say I know a lot about a little and a little about a lot. Enough to know I'll never know enough.
In other words if I can do it I would think about anyone could. I've mentioned I learned the old fashion way by doing and putting birds on the ground and I'm hoping this thread may show you what I mean. I started way before the internet so it wasn't like you could just Google it or hop on the calculator. I do look stuff up when I need to but it seems like everything else. Info overload and too many varying answers. Some people are great at researching and studying like that but I'm not one of them. It bores me and I find it a lot more fun to learn by opening the incubator and studying what's in that hatch. I wanted to share some of how that works and show some pics so you can see it in action.
I don't get all technical and quote answers out of a book. Just explain it as best I can in a way that's easier to understand for some.
Hopefully it will be a different look into the genetics and what can be done. An alternitive to or addition to all the scientific explanations and info out there.
Plus maybe a little insight into what and how I do things and some times the strangeness of things that run through the mind of a hillbilly that's breeding projects that the rest of the world doesn't see in a way that I do.
Hope you enjoy.[/QUOTE]
If there is something I like more than owning chickens, it would be seeing what others have done with basic varieties. It gives me hope of success when I plan out my crosses for new Rock varieties

Sounds cool.
Hope you enjoy.[/QUOTE]
If there is something I like more than owning chickens, it would be seeing what others have done with basic varieties. It gives me hope of success when I plan out my crosses for new Rock varieties[/QUOTE]
Like Aubrey Webbs endless d'Anvers collection. And mottling in Ameraucanas. Frizzled Ameraucanas are becoming a thing. (I wonder what frizzled d'Anvers look like?)

Back
Top Bottom