The Moonshiner's Leghorns

One of the reasons I started this thread wasn't so much about showing off my birds but to show off what someone could do with one breed and a few colors/patterns.
I'm not a genetics scholar. I've never even read a genetics book of any sort.
I like to say I know a lot about a little and a little about a lot. Enough to know I'll never know enough.
In other words if I can do it I would think about anyone could. I've mentioned I learned the old fashion way by doing and putting birds on the ground and I'm hoping this thread may show you what I mean. I started way before the internet so it wasn't like you could just Google it or hop on the calculator. I do look stuff up when I need to but it seems like everything else. Info overload and too many varying answers. Some people are great at researching and studying like that but I'm not one of them. It bores me and I find it a lot more fun to learn by opening the incubator and studying what's in that hatch. I wanted to share some of how that works and show some pics so you can see it in action.
I don't get all technical and quote answers out of a book. Just explain it as best I can in a way that's easier to understand for some.
Hopefully it will be a different look into the genetics and what can be done. An alternitive to or addition to all the scientific explanations and info out there.
Plus maybe a little insight into what and how I do things and some times the strangeness of things that run through the mind of a hillbilly that's breeding projects that the rest of the world doesn't see in a way that I do.
Well said! :goodpost:

Is leakage hereditary? If so, would it be possible to breed that out of the offspring over time? Say you have a black rooster with hackle and shoulder leakage, and solid black hens. Would continuous breeding of the least leaky male offspring back to the solid black females breed out over time?

Is leakage hereditary? If so, would it be possible to breed that out of the offspring over time? Say you have a black rooster with hackle and shoulder leakage, and solid black hens. Would continuous breeding of the least leaky male offspring back to the solid black females breed out over time?
I would think it would. It may take a few generations to see improvement bough.

You have to be really careful when playing around with Frizzled chickens or you any end up with Frazzles.
Well you know for sure crossing with smooth you will get some frizzled offspring, (hopefully) the biggest problem I see is outcrossing to totally unrelated breeds. At least Andalusians look like Leghorns. Frizzled largefowl Cochins don't look like Ameraucanas by a long shot. No close looking bantams either. Frazzles aren't so bad either. Some people breed them quick then cull them. As long as it's the rooster and not the poor hen being bred.

Leghorns are probably my favorite breed, great production with a semi-long tailed rooster and with a really attractive body style. I was wondering if the Columbia Pattern can be found in Leghorns. I have seen pictures but I have yet to find anyone who actually has them. I am also very ignorant on genetics and I wonder if its possible to make a Columbia pattern, Delaware pattern, or even black tail white with Leghorns. I would love to use Leghorns for making Red Sex Links.

Yes it will work. The question is how long it will take.
I've bred it out and sometimes it can be done in a generation while other times it seems like you'll never get rid of it.
I'm doing it backwards right now and trying to breed for more of it.
Would help if you knew what the leakage is. I've seen black birds crossed with birchen or wild type where that pattern bleeds through. In that case you just need to breed that pattern out.
What I've mostly dealt with is black enhancers that end up missing. I did just like you described to get rid of leakage in those.

Back
Top Bottom