The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Who wants to go on a project ride along? Or genetics play along?
I've got a few 55 flowery leghorns but no 55 rooster so I've decided to use a couple for a project.
I'll be setting up a breeding pen in a week or so. So here's what I'll have.
55 flowery leghorn hens
View attachment 1785578
And a silver leghorn rooster
View attachment 1785581
This should be an interesting project and in a few generations have some good results.
I won't give away too much yet but if you're new to genetics or interested to see how some projects work follow along or even play along.
Ok. If you know genetics well or plan to use the calculator refrain from answering so we can get some less knowledgeable people involved and maybe excited.
If this stuff comes easy and you want to get involved in a bit faster speed feel free to pm me your thoughts and I'll add you to the post just so others know you're ahead of the game or have it all figured out.
First things first then. Who knows the genetics of these to varieties?
I'm following.
A big negative for knowing their genetics from me.

Who wants to go on a project ride along? Or genetics play along?
I've got a few 55 flowery leghorns but no 55 rooster so I've decided to use a couple for a project.
I'll be setting up a breeding pen in a week or so. So here's what I'll have.
55 flowery leghorn hens
View attachment 1785578
And a silver leghorn rooster
View attachment 1785581
This should be an interesting project and in a few generations have some good results.
I won't give away too much yet but if you're new to genetics or interested to see how some projects work follow along or even play along.
Ok. If you know genetics well or plan to use the calculator refrain from answering so we can get some less knowledgeable people involved and maybe excited.
If this stuff comes easy and you want to get involved in a bit faster speed feel free to pm me your thoughts and I'll add you to the post just so others know you're ahead of the game or have it all figured out.
First things first then. Who knows the genetics of these to varieties?
Red crele??? I think. Not sure on this one.
Red crele is wild type with the barring gene and mahogany.
And silver duckwing.
Silver duckwing is wild type with the sex linked silver gene. Some silver duckwing express the mahogany gene, but not these.
I think you are going to try to make an autosexing silver fifty flower Leghorns, correct?

Silver duckwing is right.
Wildtype with sex link silver.
Red crele is wrong.
It is duckwing and sex link barring.
No mahogany and yes no mahogany on the silver either.
On the 55s you're still missing one gene.
And they are sex linked gold.

Silver duckwing is right.
Wildtype with sex link silver.
Red crele is wrong.
It is duckwing and sex link barring.
No mahogany and yes no mahogany on the silver either.
On the 55s you're still missing one gene.
And they are sex linked gold.
Ah, they just looked orangey to me.
Hmmmm... Dilute?

Back
Top Bottom