The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Aw! Thanks. I’ll try to keep it simple.

In general, in sex-linked crosses, the hens determine the patterning of the male. Z and W are the sex chromosomes, with Z being the most important and holding genes while the W doesn’t do much but tell the body to produce female hormones/organs.
ZZ - male
ZW - female

The barring would work the same as the gold pattern, since the females only have it and it’s also on the Z chromosome. So just as the gold can only go to the males, the barring will also only go to the males. So all F1 male offspring will be sexable at hatch since they’ll have a white spot on their heads.

Female F1s won’t have any barring at all.
Isn't there something about males being single factor barred or double factored barred?
What will I get? And what is the difference?

How about this.
A bird needs two of these molted things in order to show it.

:idunno
http://www.sedgwickcommon.co.uk/wya...ottled-chickens/#Genetics_of_Mottled_Chickens
So what you're saying is that mottling is recessive so they need two copies to be expressed?
So that would mean a copy from each parent but since these will only get one copy from the hen that the offspring will carry or be split for mottling but it will be sight unseen?
That sounds like its gonna be a pain in my @$$ later on.

Isn't there something about males being single factor barred or double factored barred?
What will I get? And what is the difference?
Oh! Yes, males will only be single factored barred since the original females are only single barred.

Double factored barred males have two barring genes (BB...is B the right shorthand code?) and so the bars are very obvious and lighten the whole bird. Think Barred Rock roosters versus the hens.

Edit: Double barred males have to get a barring gene from both rooster and hen. They’ll pass on a barring gene no matter the sex of the offspring since they are ZZ and BB.

Think Barred Rock roosters versus the hens.
Why think barred rocks when I have leghorns? ;)
1005881-f645b6c72b86e25746240dd921c6c917.jpg

So my F1 offspring will be.....
Pullets... Silver duckwing carrying mottling.
Cockerels...silver/gold duckwing single factored barred carrying mottling.
Right?
Does the hen pass on two mottling genes or only one?
Don't the babies have to get a mollting Gene from each parent...ah ha...to show it they do but they can still carry it.

Back
Top Bottom