The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Silver Columbian Leghorns?
Lol.
They've posted these before and I asked but never got an answer.
IDK on my "leghorn" thread you would think so though.
Also a bit confused since to me the pattern looks good but type not as much if they are leghorns.

Figured an update was finally due.
This has been a terrible year with what seems like everything going wrong.
Bad winter with lots of cold and tons of snow, late spring and a lot of slackers when it came to getting laying underway. etc etc.
I'd been deciding plans for this year and contemplating a kinda rebuild year. Not hatching so much but building up some of my colors slowly and building some new pens, brooders etc.
Hatching has been slow because egg production was slower then usually and hatch rates have been lower then usual and then of course throwing a batch on the floor once.
Anyways a couple weeks ago mother nature decided to make sure it was going to be a rebuild year and about put me out of business completely.
We had a quick little storm blow through and idk if it was just strong straight line winds or a micro burst or what but he got a lot of damage and a lot of losses.I completely lost my breeder barn, the roof and one wall from my grow out lean to and half the roof from my big barn with my brooders.
Lost two big brooders, three grow out pens and 15 breeder pens.
I lost 200+ leghorns mostly my breeders and I'm down to about 50 adults plus at least that many chicks as of now.
I don't think I have any colors with more then a few birds except my buffs. That was the only breeder pen with birds that was spared.
Now I've had to shuffle birds to new enclosures with most going into the big barn with only half a roof. Yesterday I discovered a mite issue has now come up. First time I've ever had mites so now to deal with that.
As my grandma used to say "if it isn't one thing its a dozen."

Figured an update was finally due.
This has been a terrible year with what seems like everything going wrong.
Bad winter with lots of cold and tons of snow, late spring and a lot of slackers when it came to getting laying underway. etc etc.
I'd been deciding plans for this year and contemplating a kinda rebuild year. Not hatching so much but building up some of my colors slowly and building some new pens, brooders etc.
Hatching has been slow because egg production was slower then usually and hatch rates have been lower then usual and then of course throwing a batch on the floor once.
Anyways a couple weeks ago mother nature decided to make sure it was going to be a rebuild year and about put me out of business completely.
We had a quick little storm blow through and idk if it was just strong straight line winds or a micro burst or what but he got a lot of damage and a lot of losses.I completely lost my breeder barn, the roof and one wall from my grow out lean to and half the roof from my big barn with my brooders.
Lost two big brooders, three grow out pens and 15 breeder pens.
I lost 200+ leghorns mostly my breeders and I'm down to about 50 adults plus at least that many chicks as of now.
I don't think I have any colors with more then a few birds except my buffs. That was the only breeder pen with birds that was spared.
Now I've had to shuffle birds to new enclosures with most going into the big barn with only half a roof. Yesterday I discovered a mite issue has now come up. First time I've ever had mites so now to deal with that.
As my grandma used to say "if it isn't one thing its a dozen."

Dang! :hugs

Dang is right.
Been a couple weeks so I'm getting over it.
Could of been worse.
None of us were hurt and my son and I was outside when it happened. Only damage to the house was some siding blew away as well as the whole garage door that I had half open.

Dang is right.
Been a couple weeks so I'm getting over it.
Could of been worse.
None of us were hurt and my son and I was outside when it happened. Only damage to the house was some siding blew away as well as the whole garage door that I had half open.

Dang wasn’t my initial thought, but the only one I could post on a family friendly site. :lol:

Glad the house survived. And the people of course! :D

Hi I have a question. I hatched out some blue leghorns from my own splash and black birds. I got some blue roosters that were dark on the neck and back. As one of these got to be 2 months old he started to show gold and baring in the dark areas. It looks like he will continue to get more gold as he matures. I'm thinking he has those from his mother. Genes that didn't show thru the splash and they are sexed linked traits. At the same hatch I had a blue rooster who is mostly bared or Mottled. He is darker and barred everywhere except butt and tail feathers. Any thoughts on if these are two different genes or just difference in penetration?

Hi I have a question. I hatched out some blue leghorns from my own splash and black birds. I got some blue roosters that were dark on the neck and back. As one of these got to be 2 months old he started to show gold and baring in the dark areas. It looks like he will continue to get more gold as he matures. I'm thinking he has those from his mother. Genes that didn't show thru the splash and they are sexed linked traits. At the same hatch I had a blue rooster who is mostly bared or Mottled. He is darker and barred everywhere except butt and tail feathers. Any thoughts on if these are two different genes or just difference in penetration?
Can you post a few pics of these two roosters?

Back
Top Bottom