The Moonshiner's Leghorns

About 55 adults and IDK around 75 or 80 young birds.
IDK around 40 lbs a day. About 24 50 lb bags a month. Not real sure because I feed a couple kinds and have it in multiple places.
Too many projects to name.
Just with lavender.
Lavender, cuckoo lavender, lavender gold duckwing, lavender silver duckwing, cuckoo lavender silver duckwing, cuckoo lavender gold duckwing.
Also hoping to get a little further on black tailed buff and white tailed buff. Then those to mille fleur and black tailed buff mottled.
Also crele and silver crele.
IDK I'll see what I have in the spring then hatch like h€ll all spring and summer.
I like the Lavenders,Crele and Mille Fleur.
Any chance you'll have some chicks of those three colors this coming Spring?

Last edited:
What happens when you lock in on a color and you're producing it consistently? Do you just announce it,then show it,then what?Keep it for yourself? I would like to know what do breeders do when they can produce something on a regular basis. Something that is unique. Do they share it with the world?I spoken to a few people that got into breeding either dogs;parrots,fish,pigeons,and some chickens.They have something good going and then get out of it;a life-changing event ;a move,health reasons,etc,etc,etc.,and everything,all the work that they did sometimes just fades away if they don't have other people working with their stock.I've seen this myself personally with dogs.

Last edited:
What happens when you lock in on a color and you're producing it consistently? Do you just announce it,then show it,then what? I would like to know what do breeders do when they can produce something on a regular basis. Do they share it with the world?
For the most part they do. They will sell hatching eggs, chicks, & adult birds so people can maintain the variety and that makes for better genetic diversity.

IDK I'll see what I have in the spring then hatch like h€ll all spring and summer.

Just no accidents on the way to the hatcher next year, please. ;)

What happens when you lock in on a color and you're producing it consistently? Do you just announce it,then show it,then what?Keep it for yourself?

I don't think you meant to come of accusatory/snarky, but it reads that way a bit. Any breeder that develops their own variety has the right to do with it whatever they want. Especially when it comes to releasing it to the public. Just look at all the ill-informed/uneducated individuals running around claiming the have "Americanas" or any number of other breeds that are clearly mixed. No one wants to put that much time and money into developing it to release small numbers and have the general public cross things willy nilly or take something that's not perfected and still a project and start selling it like they developed the variety. Or breeding for quantity over quality. There are some individuals on this forum with no knowledge of genetics at all whatsoever, but believe that by crossing two crosses they have developed a patterned variety that will breed true. Not to mention all the unscrupulous individuals on eBay or Facebook selling birds that don't meet their Standards.

I perfectly understand not releasing them to the public.

Last edited:
Just no accidents on the way to the hatcher next year, please. ;)

I don't think you meant to come of accusatory/snarky, but it reads that way a bit. Any breeder that develops their own variety has the right to do with it whatever they want. Especially when it comes to releasing it to the public. Just look at all the ill-informed/uneducated individuals running around claiming the have "Americanas" or any number of other breeds that are clearly mixed. No one wants to put that much time and money into developing it to release small numbers and have the general public cross things willy nilly or take something that's not perfected and still a project and start selling it like they developed the variety. Or breeding for quantity over quality. There are some individuals on this forum with no knowledge of genetics at all whatsoever, but believe that by crossing two crosses they have developed a patterned variety that will breed true. Not to mention all the unscrupulous individuals on eBay or Facebook selling birds that don't meet their Standards.

I perfectly understand not releasing them to the public.

No, not being snarky. Trying to pick The Shiner's brain a bit. From the numbers he's writing that he has I can imagine the time it takes; effort, planning; feed; money; elbow grease; attention, patience to follow a breeding program; make adjustments; replan after a setback; restart;etc.,etc., etc,.I would like to know what happens after a color is reached and bred true? Logically what is the step? What happens to the resulting stock? It's shown/displayed I'm sure. Then word gets around that the color/variety exists. Now what?
I totally understand why someone would not want to leave or share their stock with someone who doesn't follow their breeding program as they would like. I've seen it go haywire with some over-enthusiastic individuals when it comes to dogs. Worst yet, some seem to pick up some good stock from some hard-working breeder and have good luck with the resulting breedings early on, only to claim credit for it themselves. No, maybe I wrote bit that way, but, no.
Snarky is for the keyboard jockeys @twitter.
Hopefully, Moonshiner can shed some light on what his plans are for reached goals. I'm curious. As I've written before I am a newbie with breeding chickens for color. My background is with dogs. Since Moonshiner deals with Leghorns of which I am a fan of, I can only learn from someone who is neck-deep into breeding the variety that I'm interested in.

No, not being snarky. Trying to pick The Shiner's brain a bit. From the numbers he's writing that he has I can imagine the time it takes; effort, planning; feed; money; elbow grease; attention, patience to follow a breeding program; make adjustments; replan after a setback; restart;etc.,etc., etc,.I would like to know what happens after a color is reached and bred true? Logically what is the step? What happens to the resulting stock? It's shown/displayed I'm sure. Then word gets around that the color/variety exists. Now what?
I totally understand why someone would not want to leave or share their stock with someone who doesn't follow their breeding program as they would like. I've seen it go haywire with some over-enthusiastic individuals when it comes to dogs. Worst yet, some seem to pick up some good stock from some hard-working breeder and have good luck with the resulting breedings early on, only to claim credit for it themselves. No, maybe I wrote bit that way, but, no.
Snarky is for the keyboard jockeys @twitter.
Hopefully, Moonshiner can shed some light on what his plans are for reached goals. I'm curious. As I've written before I am a newbie with breeding chickens for color. My background is with dogs. Since Moonshiner deals with Leghorns of which I am a fan of, I can only learn from someone who is neck-deep into breeding the variety that I'm interested in.

Also, as I wrote in another post. I am in the process of trying to develop a Golden Duckwing and Silver Duckwing Leghorns. I'm building the coops; runs; nest boxes, etc. I know for a fact that I will run into setbacks probably from the get-go and am aware that at times 1+1 will not equal two for me in this endeavor. Anything I can learn from an OG like The Shiner or anyone else dealing in Leghorns will be greatly appreciated.

I also want to add that there are exceptions in any hobby and I've seen it with some chicken breeders they will advertise that the stock they have was from a certain breeder and some of them even proudly acknowledge those breeders on their websites and in conversations... so from what I seen there are a few people out there that are honest and do what they can to promote the breeder where they got their stock from.

I don't wish to speak for Moonshiner, but I know for me I'm a long way off from being able to offer chicks or hatching eggs. When you're in developmental stages and actively and aggressively working on improving your stock you hatch and grow out everything you can. Only very well-established programs that are so dialed in that they don't have to hatch as many to acquire their own high-quality replacements can afford to sell eggs or chicks, unless you're able to score a dozen in late spring or summer after they've hatched all they want for the year. (Or programs that aren't necessarily actively working to improve their stock.) You're more likely to find serious breeders that will sell a pair or trio that doesn't quite fit their breeding program in the fall.

I don't wish to speak for Moonshiner, but I know for me I'm a long way off from being able to offer chicks or hatching eggs. When you're in developmental stages and actively and aggressively working on improving your stock you hatch and grow out everything you can. Only very well-established programs that are so dialed in that they don't have to hatch as many to acquire their own high-quality replacements can afford to sell eggs or chicks, unless you're able to score a dozen in late spring or summer after they've hatched all they want for the year. (Or programs that aren't necessarily actively working to improve their stock.) You're more likely to find serious breeders that will sell a pair or trio that doesn't quite fit their breeding program in the fall.
Yes thank you for the insightful post .Very insightful.I think I'm going to start with what I can get locally or shipped and learn from there it would be nice to receive stock from someone actively breeding and trying to develop certain colors... that would be icing on the cake; but I also feel that I need to go through this phase of learning to learn what works and what may not work. There's a lot to be said for putting in the work so to speak. But again if I can get some stock from somebody that is working with the same variety that I am to me would be nice. I don't want to order chicks from a chicken mill either.

Back
Top Bottom