The Moonshiner's Leghorns

what kind of parrots do you have?
Yellow Nape Amazons,Orange Wing Amazons,Pionus,Blue Front Amazons,Cuban Amazons,African Greys,Goffin Cockatoos,Umbrella Cockatoos,and Sun Conures.
This season we had a few clear eggs,but we have bonded pairs that have started to lay fertile eggs and we currently have an Orange Wing pair that are raising their second clutch of babies two years back to back after 10 years of nothing from them.

Last edited:
Yellow Nape Amazons,Orange Wing Amazons,Pionus,Blue Front Amazons,Cuban Amazons,African Greys,Goffin Cockatoos,Umbrella Cockatoos,and Sun Conures.
This season we had a few clear eggs,but we have bonded pairs that have started to lay fertile eggs and we currently have an Orange Wing pair that are raising their second clutch of babies two years back to back after 10 years of nothing from them.
A right mini-zoo you have there.

@MIAMI LEGHORN what kind of Pionus? If I ever decide to get a parrot of my own instead of just working with them, Pionus are on my list. For now, I'm sticking with small birds, like budgies. DS really wants a pet bird and if we ever get settled right for it (and when he's a touch older and more responsible) I'll likely get him a hand-fed Linoleated Parakeet or a Green cheek.

;) Right now he has a cute little house chicken, a little Sebright rooster.

I suggest that you get the Green Cheek conure.. it's got lots of personality and if you get it very very young while you're still hand feeding it, it will bond to you and your "flock". If you want the Linoliated or Bourke's parakeet that's fine as well whatever you like just make sure you give it lots of attention and socialization and you will get out of it what you put into it. Exotic birds require constant attention if you give it lots of it in the beginning you must give lots of it continuously especially the socialization part they are quite intuitive and will resent any change of a routine so be mindful of that. You can send me a message that way we don't hijack the Moonshiner's thread about parakeets.

A right mini-zoo you have there.
Hahaha.
We plan on obtaining a few goats next year,plus beginning the planning and pre building of a small farm to table operation, growing vegetables and microgreens.
So yeah mini zoo and Farm.
Yes I actually handed over the hobby to my wife. I did not want after a few years of frustration with some pairs that weren't producing I decided to get sell my stock, but my wife decided to take it over,and actually she's doing a better job of it than I was..hahaha. with her patience and love we have pairs that are breeding now that never did.

Thanks for taking the time to post so much info. It's taken me a couple days to get through those and where they lead to.
I think I'm gonna be a bit tapped for while but isn't father's day this month?
I never ask for anything but I think this year will be different.
YouTube has a lot of good examples of cameras and the pictures they take and what to look for in a camera depending on the use. Most of the predators here roam at night so I wanted a camera that took good nighttime pictures. I do take videos so that was another consideration. Hopefully you will get one for father's day, June 21.

Thanks for the info on cameras, mine are all pieces of junk.
@RiverOtter, is your avatar one of your Isabelles?

Fingers crossed for a game cam for Father's day, Moonshiner, do you have any live traps you could set outside the pens -- ?? My most common catches were raccoons and 'possums. raccoons have killed the most chickens of mine in the past -- nearly 10 years of chicken keeping.

@ChicKat, no, she's a lemon blue. The color popped up somehow out of one of my California White hens and I'm not sure which rooster. The one in the avatar is the third generation. I've done my best to keep the line going, but after this year's insane predator pressure I'm down to 3 hens, two lemon blues and a red laced/patterned/weird-but-pretty colored one, who just hatched out 7 chicks sired by a Lavender Orp roo. Six black and one blue. I've no roosters left from that line, but recently got what I think may be a Splash Andulusian from the auction, and I'll try him and see what happens. So straight up mutts at this point. But pretty!

I have a few mutts too. I bought three White Leghorn pullets at a show some months ago and put them with my male. Some of the chicks came out with either black or brown on their wings. Some even have Rose Combs. I noticed when I bought the pullets there was a Rose Comb that looked in body shape like a Leghorn and not an RIW. The fellow said it was an RIW that mistakenly got mixed in as he was working on a project with RIW's. I think one of the pullets had RIW in her because of the chicks that have the Rose Comb. I put the male in with my Leghorns and no odd coloring so one of the females I bought has something else in her.
MY RIW's
RIWRev.jpg

Here are the females I bought with my male.
IMG_20200421_153909.jpg

Here is a chick. It's hard to see the RC.
IMG_20200421_150404 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20200421_150417.jpg

Here is the coop they are in. I also use it as a quarantine coop because it's not too close to the other coops.
IMG_20200421_153748.jpg

I have a few mutts too. I bought three White Leghorn pullets at a show some months ago and put them with my male. Some of the chicks came out with either black or brown on their wings. Some even have Rose Combs. I noticed when I bought the pullets there was a Rose Comb that looked in body shape like a Leghorn and not an RIW. The fellow said it was an RIW that mistakenly got mixed in as he was working on a project with RIW's. I think one of the pullets had RIW in her because of the chicks that have the Rose Comb. I put the male in with my Leghorns and no odd coloring so one of the females I bought has something else in her.
MY RIW's
View attachment 2177043
Here are the females I bought with my male.
View attachment 2177044
Here is a chick. It's hard to see the RC.
View attachment 2177048View attachment 2177049
Here is the coop they are in. I also use it as a quarantine coop because it's not too close to the other coops.
View attachment 2177050
I love your setup!
So single combed parents threw a rose combed offspring? That doesn’t seem possible. Maybe the hen was mated prior to being sold.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom